Work/Activities ( Current, Shadowing ) + Interfolio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

somuchwater

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all.

I am filling out the AMCAS and had a few questions.

1) I do not have many shadowing hours. I am applying MD/PhD and while I do have clinical hours, I didn't too much shadowing. It's about 20 hours between two different doctors. I did sit in rounds, saw some cool things, but nevertheless, it is pretty light. I was wondering if/how to list this under my work/activities. I mean I felt like I got a lot out of it and it just reaffirmed my intentions for medicine. I also did it very late, as in I shadowed for the first time my second semester... of senior year...

so should I mentioned it ? I did talk about it a little in my personal statement but didn't go into much detail. I was thinking about maybe expanding it in my PS, because then that way I don't have to list hours.

2) I just got a scribe position which is huge since I feel like my application is lopsided in favor of research > clinical. I'll have some experience in by June 7th. But how should I talk about it in my application. Obviously, I won't be using it for my personal statement but I wasn't sure how to mention it in my current activities.

Should I just delay my application in order to have more experience under my belt by that point?

3) I'm almost done school but taking a summer class to finish up my last graduation requirement. Does the grade in this class matter if I have already submitted my AMCAS? It's literally my last college grade. I was wondering if I could just mail this in. Regardless, do I need to send them updated transcript? If I do... will it delay my application?

4) for anyone using interfolio, did you select AMCAS 2017 or AMCAS 2016 when uploading your letters to AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am filling out the AMCAS and had a few questions.

1) I do not have many shadowing hours. I am applying MD/PhD and while I do have clinical hours, I didn't too much shadowing. It's about 20 hours between two different doctors. I did sit in rounds, saw some cool things, but nevertheless, it is pretty light. I was wondering if/how to list this under my work/activities. I mean I felt like I got a lot out of it and it just reaffirmed my intentions for medicine. I also did it very late, as in I shadowed for the first time my second semester... of senior year...

so should I mentioned it ? I did talk about it a little in my personal statement but didn't go into much detail. I was thinking about maybe expanding it in my PS, because then that way I don't have to list hours.

2) I just got a scribe position which is huge since I feel like my application is lopsided in favor of research > clinical. I'll have some experience in by June 7th. But how should I talk about it in my application. Obviously, I won't be using it for my personal statement but I wasn't sure how to mention it in my current activities.

Should I just delay my application in order to have more experience under my belt by that point?

3) I'm almost done school but taking a summer class to finish up my last graduation requirement. Does the grade in this class matter if I have already submitted my AMCAS? It's literally my last college grade. I was wondering if I could just mail this in. Regardless, do I need to send them updated transcript? If I do... will it delay my application?

4) for anyone using interfolio, did you select AMCAS 2017 or AMCAS 2016 when uploading your letters to AMCAS?
1) Definitely list it, under the Shadowing tag in the Activities section. Twenty hours would look sparse on an MD-only application, but MD/PhD programs don't expect as much clinical exposure. You could always get in another 20 hours before Submitting, over an intense weekend or two, perhaps, if you have the contacts to set it up. Last-minute doesn't matter with this activity.

2) Since you will have begun the activity, there is no bar to listing it, but you'll have to wait to enter it into the AMCAS application until after June 1, if you won't begin in May, as it won't allow future months to be entered. List it as Employment - Medical/Clinical. Once you've begun, you'll have some inspiration about what to say. You may add predictions of future hours, but be sure to separate Completed vs Future Total Hours. You never know how long the job will last (we see reports of firings or not "passing" the orientation training). When will you have ~80-100 hours? That might be a reasonable time to submit the application, if it's not too far into June.

3) It won't matter, so long as you don't blow it off, as you cannot update the AMCAS transcript after submission. The only school that will know about it is the one at which you decide to matriculate, as you are required to send them a final official transcript showing you graduated and completed all prerequisites.