Work during medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freddydpt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think I'll be able to do private therapy during medical school? I was thinking about just doing massage privately for a discount for GW med students. Would that be legal to do without a license in massage therapy even though I'll be a licensed PT?

Members don't see this ad.

Freddy, I work about 15 to 20 hrs/sk doing home health which has worked out pretty well for M1. The nice thing is it is pretty flexible with school scheduling. I would not try to bill yourself as a message therapist if you are a PT, I believe that message therapists are licensed or have a certificate or something. Good luck.

I plan on working also but hopefully picking up something PRN at a hospital like once or twice a month. Home health would be ideal but I don't know about all the paperwork and I haven't been licensed very long.

Personal training to your classmates is always a possibility as well.

THANK YOU FOR BRINGING THIS FORUM BACK!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried to work when I was in medical school, but decided i needed the time to 1. study 2. have a good time/enjoy time off

I would look into PRN at a local acute care or rehab facility. I've been a PT for 3 years and will be attending CCOM in the fall. I am definitely planning on transferring my license to Illinois and will definitely work during school. The paperwork in acute care/rehab really isn't that bad, at least on the weekends. Home health tends to be a killer.

My big caveat is that unless you NEED the money, I think you should enjoy your time...I lost 10 pounds my first year in med school due to stress. Burning the candle at both ends doesn't help, and over confidence in years 1 & 2 may cause problems. I suggest transfering your license, but waiting until you get a "feel" for school prior to accepting shifts. I transfered my license but never used it, decided I just didn't want to practice PT anymore. Extra money can be tempting though.

DW,
did you at least practice during the summer months off? or were you involved in research or something? i'm making a killing as a traveling PT right now and am sure I could find a similar position during the summer months if I do some research in the area. I do want to get involved in some type of research too though so I'll have to cross that bridge when I come to it.

-J

Summer months off!!??? We had a couple of months off in between year 1 and 2 (did a bit of research)...could've used the moolah. But I vacationed, got out of dodge and had hellah time!! .
There was zero vacation any other time...and if I did, I certainly didn't want to work! I took the advice of some upper classmen and mellowed.
My theory was that I was soon entering residency, and that is a TON of work, so why bother?? Just for a couple of $$, not worth it. You have your whole life to work, and when you start residency you will work 100x's harder.

My point, well, I could have worked in between year 1 and 2 but other than that I found that i really enjoyed my time off!