Work during program to count as practicum hours? Conditions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psyman

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I understand it, a program can approve some work experience as practicum hours. I was wondering what are some of the conditions?

My program tells me that I need to receive supervision weekly (1 hour?) and that I must be supervised by a clinical psychologist at the job in order for the hours to be counted.

Does anyone have any experiences with getting work hours certified as practicum so they can be tallied on the APPI? I hear different things depending on the program.

Members don't see this ad.

As I understand it, a program can approve some work experience as practicum hours. I was wondering what are some of the conditions?

My program tells me that I need to receive supervision weekly (1 hour?) and that I must be supervised by a clinical psychologist at the job in order for the hours to be counted.

Does anyone have any experiences with getting work hours certified as practicum so they can be tallied on the APPI? I hear different things depending on the program.

Consult with your DCT b/c she is going to have to sign off on your hours. The hours have to be approved by your program as part of practicum training. It can't be a job unless its specifically approved by your program. You should also be supervised by a licensed psychologist.

Consult with your DCT b/c she is going to have to sign off on your hours. The hours have to be approved by your program as part of practicum training. It can't be a job unless its specifically approved by your program. You should also be supervised by a licensed psychologist.
Programs tend to be (and should be) very conservative when it comes to signing off on "outside" hours. When I went through training, we could only count hours that were done through a recongnized clinic/training site, which included supervision from a program affiliated supervisor. We could have a "site" supervisor, but we were also required to have a program affiliated/faculty supervisor.

I was informed that any paid job you have that is not part of your program's training cannot count for practicum hours. However, it would still be something internship sites would be interested in know (in cover letters or support hours). For example, if you get hired to do assessments for an outside practitioner (not a practicum), that cannot count as practicum hours.

There might be flexibility if someone in your program is willing to supervise you on the side for those assessments (after making sure its all legit in terms of confidentiality).