Work-life balance between NP and MD/DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rock hopper

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Lately i've been doing a lot of research on the differences in work life balance between a MD/DO and a NP.

I have been on the DO school grind for a while and have been doing scribe work in the ER. I guess that more than anything I just want to get to where i'm going and I'm not dead set on anything anymore. My dad often worked for months at a time out of the continental US and usually only came home 3-4 times a week. I guess I just want to make sure I'm with my kids as much as possible and am the complete opposite of what my dad was, as he missed out on graduations, birthdays, etc. many times.

The TL;DR version is...Would working as an NP give me much more flexibility schedule-wise than a DO/MD? I plan to do rural work regardless if I go into DO/MD or NP to pay off my loans. I guess schedule flexibility is the number 1 thing for me. I couldn't imagine doing anything other than treating patients night or day--but have taken a second look at my "i want to be nothing but a doctor and will die trying to be one" approach. Especially considering (per my brother, who is an RN) that many NP's easily clear six figures a year--very comfortable living money. I guess I am just thinking I don't want to get into something where I am worked to death and dont get to see my family as much. I don't know if this is the case, so I'm just asking for advice.

Thanks guys/gals

Members don't see this ad.

Also--briefly, because it just came to mind..Are NP's able to work 3-12's or 7 on 7 off schedule? I work 3 12's as a scribe now and don't mind it (I worked regular 10-12 hour days usually 5-6 days a week in construction before that).

Guess I'm just trying to find a schedule that would allow me to work longer hours but only 3-4 days a week. I guess I don't see that flexibility with DO/MD. Anyway just thinking out loud.

I guess I don't see that flexibility with DO/MD.
I can only speak to MD/DO and not NP. There is flexibility depending on what field you go into and what setting. In the ED, it's very common to work 3 12s, I believe. If you open your own primary care private practice, your schedule is whatever you want it to be (but the more you work the more you make, so there are always tradeoffs to consider). If you work for a hospital or a group, then you'll have less flexibility but may be able to negotiate. I know people working in outpatient psychiatry that have negotiated working 4 10-hour days per week.

If your plan is to go rural, there's more demand, and so likely more room for you to negotiate the schedule you want.

Reactions: 1 user