Work RVU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desertdocs

Reaction score
Has anyone seen an increase in work RVUs for Medicare patients? The new E/M payment took effect January 2021 but I’m not seeing a change in my wRVUs despite 70% Medicare panel.

Members don't see this ad.

Bumparooski. My hospital system is transitioning to a wRVU model. I would appreciate any guidance as this is new territory for me.

Gracias hombres.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bumparooski. My hospital system is transitioning to a wRVU model. I would appreciate any guidance as this is new territory for me.

Gracias hombres.
Track your own billing, not everywhere is great about doing it for you.

Get a report of your CPT codes for the last 3 months or so and see how many wRVUs you've earned. You can then compare to what you've made.

How were you paid before this?

Gracias hombres.
You will have the opportunity to make a lot of money. Agree that you need to be sure that you are putting in all your charges because no one else cares about you. Be in control of your own destiny. Know what the minimum required RVU number is you are expected to achieve each month. Anything over that will be your RVU bonus. Know what your RVU rate is. Will your get your bonus monthly or quarterly?

For example: I have to see a minimum of 296 RVU per month. My rate is $54.57 per RVU. My regular shifts are 10/month but I work more than that depending on the project I am funding at home.
So in November I saw 820 RVU. So 820- 296=524 524x54.57= 28,594 bonus for Nov.

Since we're on the topic I have a few questions for the seasoned folks:
1. How often can I bill for nutritional counseling and smoking cessation?
2. Can I use multiple modifiers in a visit?
Example:
Medicare wellness visit: G0439 with a 99213 using 25 modifier for bilateral chronic knee. Patient needs injections and normally I would bill it as a 99213 with 50 modifier and 20611 for the procedure (ultrasound guided bundled). Is there a way I could do that all in one visit?

Graduating SM fellowship and planning to do sports and family medicine. Job has a base and then incentives for production above 1000 RVU/quarter at $50/RVU. Will have high patient volumes. If anyone with experience pulling in high RVUs and would be willing to chat I would greatly appreciate tips/tricks to ethically maximize my billing. Please PM me. Thanks!

**should clarify, I will have a FM taxonomy code, so will be regularly seeing family medicine patients. Mostly interested in hearing tips regarding primary care.

Last edited: