Work Study Employment.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raptorattack

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.

I am an entering first-year student at the University of Georgia. Today, I recieved my financial aid award letter, and as the title might suggest, I recieved help via FWS.

At UGA, students have the ability to look at FWS-exclusive job listings and apply where they see possible interest. Here lies my question. On the listings, there were many positions present for lab assistants in Microbiology, Cellular Biology, Entomology, and Vet. Medicine. Would such a position be a positive experience as an undergrad? Which one, in your opinion, would be the ideal position to persue?

Thanks in advance.

Ben

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who regularly hires undergrads for lab help, I have to say, you are in a great position! There are always tons of undergrads on campuses looking for jobs in labs to put on future applications, and you have an advantage over many of them; you are essentially free labor!

What are your interests? Have you taken any classes that you've found particularly interesting? In a micro lab, you're likely to start out making mediums to plate bacteria on. In a Cell Bio lab, you are likely to start out making solutions. I'm not so sure about what go on in the other two kinds of labs. In any case, you're in a great position to work your way up in a lab, and to get to know a PI well enough to get a strong letter of rec in the future. Don't be afraid to apply for the job you want-- as someone who does a lot of hiring, I know that decreased overhead means a lot to labs struggling with budget cuts. Best of luck to you!

lessismoe said:
As someone who regularly hires undergrads for lab help, I have to say, you are in a great position! There are always tons of undergrads on campuses looking for jobs in labs to put on future applications, and you have an advantage over many of them; you are essentially free labor!

What are your interests? Have you taken any classes that you've found particularly interesting? In a micro lab, you're likely to start out making mediums to plate bacteria on. In a Cell Bio lab, you are likely to start out making solutions. I'm not so sure about what go on in the other two kinds of labs. In any case, you're in a great position to work your way up in a lab, and to get to know a PI well enough to get a strong letter of rec in the future. Don't be afraid to apply for the job you want-- as someone who does a lot of hiring, I know that decreased overhead means a lot to labs struggling with budget cuts. Best of luck to you!

Thank you so much. I am really excited about this.
:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I worked for the head secretary in the science dept. I don't think that it even made my Amcas application (I probably put down that I did clerical work). I was a great worker and they loved me.

Even though I had moved on to cushier jobs by the time I was a senior, I still had coffee with the secretaries once a week. My letters of recommend were never misplaced, my concerns always immeadiately addressed. I got to know almost all of the science professors by name (small dept--30 or so). They took extra good care of me during the application process.

Those connections paid off. Not trying to diss doing lab work, but there are lots of ways to get involved in a lab (summer research, research for credit, etc.).

I have another question, specifically for those who participated in extensive lab work.

Does the type of lab work matter...I.E. scientific discipline? Or is it more the overall experience that counts? I say this because there are interesting opportunities present in the Ecology and Entomology labs.

Ben