Worker's Compensation Insurance and Independent Contractor Status

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

southerndoc

life is good
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up for people who are independent contractors...

Someone I know recently had the unfortunate incident of a needlestick at work. She got hepatitis C from it. Initially her primary health insurance paid for it, but when they found out it happened in the line of work, they are refusing to pay any further and are requiring repayment of what they've paid out so far.

Never thought it would happen, but I should've known since insurance companies find every way to get out of paying.

I just obtained worker's comp insurance for this very reason. I got to thinking if they didn't pay for her, what happens if you herniate a disc helping to lift a patient and need surgery? What's next? Won't pay for treating the flu because you got it at work?

I think it's ridiculous, and she is appealing, but it doesn't look hopeful. If you're an independent contractor, please look into getting worker's comp insurance (in addition to disability insurance, which is a must).

Members don't see this ad.

How much is your monthly payment for this? Thanks for the heads up. Definitely a terrifying thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's funny how we don't think of this stuff.
Especially when almost everyday I see a patient hurt on the job and tell them that their health insurance won't cover the claim and they need to follow up with the workers comp office.

Members don't see this ad :)
How much is your monthly payment for this? Thanks for the heads up. Definitely a terrifying thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perhaps she should switch her health insurance to an exchange product with a low deductible. Since pre-existing conditions are covered she should be good. Just a thought.

Perhaps she should switch her health insurance to an exchange product with a low deductible. Since pre-existing conditions are covered she should be good. Just a thought.

$550/year. Need to talk to the CPA to see if it's tax deductible (I'm assuming it is). I don't deduct my disability insurance premiums because I don't want any taxes on benefits if I become disabled.

Are there any other insurance products where this would apply then?

I think just disability insurance.
Life insurance too. Basically they wont double tax you. In some instances life insurance premiums are deductible. Given their low cost and their purpose no one writes off their premiums.