working at a govt dental clinic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lethstang

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
sorry chaps, i cannot find a similar thread which is surprising.

Has anyone here took advantage of the govt loan repayment program? I guess you work at an approved site, and after two years theyll giveyou 60k for repayment. I just talked to a recruiter and he said you can expect about 90k your first year, plus full benefits. so its competitive pay once you add in the 30k tax free loan benefit. Most of the patients you see will be medicaid.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it akin to working at a dental mill, where you slowly lose your will to live?

if there are threads on this, please be kind and point me to them.

Warm regards

Members don't see this ad.

I did my residency in a community health clinic and my co-resident ended up working for them after our residency was completed. I can tell you in this current economy, it's definitely comfortable because you know you will be bringing home money every month. There's no stress over making sure your chair is filled, etc. However, with such clinics, you may face some pressure from non-dental people, ie. director, trying to influence your treatment plan, etc. As well, working on medicaid patients can be fulfilling and mundane. However, given the state of dentistry, I think it's worth it. Even my former co-resident considers himself lucky. The one thing he did say was that there wasn't much room to move up or improve your income, but you do get nice benefits, ie. At my old clinic, there are signing bonuses, production bonuses that add up to an additional $60K a year, and a big bonus after your 10th year with them.

sorry chaps, i cannot find a similar thread which is surprising.

Has anyone here took advantage of the govt loan repayment program? I guess you work at an approved site, and after two years theyll giveyou 60k for repayment. I just talked to a recruiter and he said you can expect about 90k your first year, plus full benefits. so its competitive pay once you add in the 30k tax free loan benefit. Most of the patients you see will be medicaid.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it akin to working at a dental mill, where you slowly lose your will to live?

if there are threads on this, please be kind and point me to them.

Warm regards

ty for the response adversary. I will definitely keep the option open then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did my residency in a community health clinic and my co-resident ended up working for them after our residency was completed. I can tell you in this current economy, it's definitely comfortable because you know you will be bringing home money every month. There's no stress over making sure your chair is filled, etc. However, with such clinics, you may face some pressure from non-dental people, ie. director, trying to influence your treatment plan, etc. As well, working on medicaid patients can be fulfilling and mundane. However, given the state of dentistry, I think it's worth it. Even my former co-resident considers himself lucky. The one thing he did say was that there wasn't much room to move up or improve your income, but you do get nice benefits, ie. At my old clinic, there are signing bonuses, production bonuses that add up to an additional $60K a year, and a big bonus after your 10th year with them.

do u guys know how to find these places to apply? Websites and such?

do u guys know how to find these places to apply? Websites and such?

Here's the website with the loan repayment/scholarship info. They also have a job listing search engine.

http://nhsc.hrsa.gov/

I'm not sure how often the job postings are updated, I know some listings have been on there forever even though the position has been filled. I think it really depends on the clinics to let HRSA know.