Working at FDA vs a Drug company

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elle928

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who has worked for or had a rotation at both the FDA and a drug company give some insight on the difference between the two? Specifically in terms of work environment, and the type of work you were doing?

I am asking bc I am currently a retail pharmacist trying to switch gears. I was able to shadow a pharmacist at the FDA for a few days, and was very surprised. The work the pharmacists do ( they call them project managers) is almost entirely administrative. Even though they are working with NDAs, they have reviewers on the team who focus on the science part of the applications. The pharmacists are then, for the most part, scheduling meetings, and really just making sure everything on the timeline is being met and communicating with the drug companies. Although the work/life balance and work environment seem great, the work seems so repetitive and kind of boring. Are all pharmacist positions in industry similar? Is the work environment the same or is big pharma more stressful?

Any info is appreciated!
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good question! I also am wondering the same thing. I'm sure it depends on what your specific role would be in the job but it would be nice to know the difference between the companies...