Working at Multiple Practices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zahiradams17

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So I shadowed a dentist who only worked 2 days a week but he still made 6 figures. I was wondering if say right after dental school you found a job that only wanted you to work Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Could you find another job as a dentist that wanted you to work Wednesday and Friday or even just Friday's and potentially receive two salaries every year from these two different offices? How does that work and do dentists usually do this to make even more money? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

So I shadowed a dentist who only worked 2 days a week but he still made 6 figures. I was wondering if say right after dental school you found a job that only wanted you to work Monday, Tuesday and Thursday. Could you find another job as a dentist that wanted you to work Wednesday and Friday or even just Friday's and potentially receive two salaries every year from these two different offices? How does that work and do dentists usually do this to make even more money? Thanks.
Yes. A lot of new graduates cannot find full-time work at one office and have to work at two or sometimes three offices for a 5-6 day work week.

Where is this dentists that only works two days and still makes six figures? haha

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

You have your views on dentistry all wrong.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thing working in multiple places might be the future. "The Gig Economy" is developing all over the society why not dentistry too?

Yes. A lot of new graduates cannot find full-time work at one office and have to work at two or sometimes three offices for a 5-6 day work week.

Where is this dentists that only works two days and still makes six figures? haha

6 figures is misleading... that could mean 100k-999k. 2 days a week at 100k is not much. I hate that term "6 figures".

Some owners actually prefer hiring part time associate dentists because they don’t have enough patients and don’t want to pay their associates for sitting around doing nothing. When I was still a GPR resident, I worked at a private office only on Saturday because it was the only day of the week that I could work. The GP owner didn’t want to work on Saturdays so this arrangement was good for both of us.

My sister worked 4 days/week for the corp office and 3 days/week (Saturdays, Sundays, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Xmas Eve, New Year Eve etc) at her own office. She didn’t make any money at her own office….she actually lost money because it was a brand new office that she set up from scratch and there weren’t have enough patients for the office to be profitable. The income she earned from working at a corp office ($550/day….around $100k/year) helped cover this loss. At that time, she, her husband and her 2 kids lived with our parents so it wasn’t too bad for her financially. About 1.5-2 yrs later, she quit her associate job at the corp office. And a few years after that, she stopped working on Sundays so she could spend more time with her kids. Now, she only works 3.5 days/week.....she still works every Saturday because it’s the most productive day of the week.

Hello,

It is not uncommon to work a couple of part time jobs when you first get out of school.

6 figures is misleading... that could mean 100k-999k. 2 days a week at 100k is not much. I hate that term "6 figures".

I guess that dentist makes about 1000 a day. So about 100k a year. Not bad for a GP for just 2 days a week. That probably includes bonus as collection percentage. I learned that GP can get 600-700 as per diem.

Some owners actually prefer hiring part time associate dentists because they don’t have enough patients and don’t want to pay their associates for sitting around doing nothing. When I was still a GPR resident, I worked at a private office only on Saturday because it was the only day of the week that I could work. The GP owner didn’t want to work on Saturdays so this arrangement was good for both of us.

My sister worked 4 days/week for the corp office and 3 days/week (Saturdays, Sundays, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Xmas Eve, New Year Eve etc) at her own office. She didn’t make any money at her own office….she actually lost money because it was a brand new office that she set up from scratch and there weren’t have enough patients for the office to be profitable. The income she earned from working at a corp office ($550/day….around $100k/year) helped cover this loss. At that time, she, her husband and her 2 kids lived with our parents so it wasn’t too bad for her financially. About 1.5-2 yrs later, she quit her associate job at the corp office. And a few years after that, she stopped working on Sundays so she could spend more time with her kids. Now, she only works 3.5 days/week.....she still works every Saturday because it’s the most productive day of the week.

Charlestweed, it might be random but I read all of your comment and they are all very thoughtful and honest. I really appreciate your helpful comments. Seriously. and I love the way you practice dentistry you are so smart. It is teaching me that you have to sacrifice at first to achieve something you like. Once again, Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user