working for walgreens vs walmart?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xinhquay

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Walmart vs. walgreens for pharmacist: pros and cons. please share

Members don't see this ad.

Not entirely sure there are pros at all... So sorry...

Perhaps you should tally the cons of each, and whichever has the most unbearable cons, you avoid..

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Walmart: no drive thru, bathroom inside pharmacy, gates close for lunch

Walmart - you can work as few as 48/hrs a pay period while still receiving benefits (101 PTO hours a year to start out). Standard 80/pay period gets you 168 PTO hours to start out. You don't earn more PTO with more hours worked over base though IIRC.

Walmart does rando cullings from time to time though. The latest culling in 2019 (they had an official name for this) was related to hourly cuts due to increased "technological" "adaptation" officially, i.e., Walmart also pushing for more text messaging/online accounts so fewer phone and in-person interactions just to refill prescriptions.

Current employees not just in pharmacy should expect more job losses though. Increased "automation" and coronavirus will stimulate more cuts

Some Walmarts (few) have a drive-thru though. Neighborhood Market might have a window (one example is on Silverado Ranch Blvd in Vegas). GD Supercenters have one have a pneumatic tube and video screen. For example they opened a Supercenter in Tehachapi, CA in 2019 with a drive through lane on the south side of the building whereas the pharmacy is in the north side of the building.

Last edited:
so if I have to pick between two, where should I go with?

so if I have to pick between two, where should I go with?

Have you decided which one would be the most unbearable yet? Therein lies your answer.

Here is tier
Publix > Target > Warlmat > CVS >= Walgreens

back in year 2010. lol

General consensus is that you try to avoid Walgreens and CVS at any cost.

I rarely see any job openings with walmart but always will walgreens and cvs. wondering because of many pharmacist leaving those companies

I don't hear any good things about working at Walgreens anymore. Pretty much everyone I've heard from is miserable there now and have some sort of plan on leaving, even if they are leaving their home city. The Walgreen stocks dropping in value is hitting their morale hard and they are taking it on the pharmacist to double down on their misery.

Reactions: 4 users
Walgreens used to be a great place to work - back in 2002-2004. It's sad that now it's just as bad as CVS - slightly better in some aspects, slightly worse in others...

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think it matters which company you work for so much as WHO you work with. An experienced, knowledgeable, and fun team will make the day go by quickly and least painfully.

Yes, Walmart closes for lunch, but from what I've heard, they come back to a massive workload.

On weekends you're just filling various combinations of tamiflu/apap/ibuprofen/benadryl/loratadine all day this time of year

Here is tier
Publix > Target > Warlmat > CVS >= Walgreens

back in year 2010. lol

General consensus is that you try to avoid Walgreens and CVS at any cost.

The tier is Costco Whole sale= Sam’s club>PillPack/Amazon> Publix> Target> Kroger stores=Winn Dixie= Safeway= Albertsons> Walmart>Independent pharmacy> CVS=Walgreens in 2019.

And the pharmacy closes by 7. Do not have to work in a 24 hr store

Standard closing on weekdays is 9 PM (but actually 7 PM Saturday, 1 hr later than the latest closing times for non-24 Wags, Cesspool of Venal Swine, Rite Aid)

Standard closing on weekdays is 9 PM (but actually 7 PM Saturday, 1 hr later than the latest closing times for non-24 Wags, Cesspool of Venal Swine, Rite Aid)
Yeah, but Walmart is better than a 24 hr wags or 24 hr CVS.

I don't think it matters which company you work for so much as WHO you work with. An experienced, knowledgeable, and fun team will make the day go by quickly and least painfully.

Yes, Walmart closes for lunch, but from what I've heard, they come back to a massive workload.

I stay and eat while they work.... thats the trick. they fill and bag and put the order up... then i get back on the clock and start vis-vering and 4-pointing like crazy....and whatever else interrupts me every 10 seconds.

yeah op it does not matter , this is over-all a failing situation. The companies are struggling to make a profit and figure out how to disengage from pharmacy while over-paying their current pharmacists ya know? i'm not worth 70+ an hour anymore, they can replace me for 60-65 or less, who knows? staffs 50 and under now... so they are trying to make us all miserable until we break and quit or get the can.... plan on bouncing around from here to there and grabbing whatever cash you can while finding an exit strategy. this wont last too much longer...i mean we will always have retail pharmacies of some kind to get your medicine, but with technology and mail order... its only a matter of time before there is VERY little left in even the retail sector.

yeah op it does not matter , this is over-all a failing situation. The companies are struggling to make a profit and figure out how to disengage from pharmacy while over-paying their current pharmacists ya know? i'm not worth 70+ an hour anymore, they can replace me for 60-65 or less, who knows? staffs 50 and under now... so they are trying to make us all miserable until we break and quit or get the can.... plan on bouncing around from here to there and grabbing whatever cash you can while finding an exit strategy. this wont last too much longer...i mean we will always have retail pharmacies of some kind to get your medicine, but with technology and mail order... its only a matter of time before there is VERY little left in even the retail sector.
The scariest thing is that

most prepharms still strongly believe 'In the worst case scenario, I just have to work for retails'