working full time and studying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatsby14777

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else need to vent about working full time and studying. I took the two weeks before the exam off to really be able to do lots of full lengths, and I try to do about 5 hrs or so when I come home at night....but I'm worried I'm going to start fading before my "vacation starts".
UGH!

Members don't see this ad.

As I was driving to work this morning I was just thinking about how difficult it is to be working full time and studying for the MCAT. I am trying to stay on track with EK's 10 week schedule and I can but I do not have any additional time for studying topics that I am struggling with. I know I need to review Newtonian Motion (I went over it 6 weeks ago) but still have not found the time to go back and review it. Needless to say I am not really surprised by the 9s I get in physical science.
Sigh, done complaining.

H and D said:
As I was driving to work this morning I was just thinking about how difficult it is to be working full time and studying for the MCAT. I am trying to stay on track with EK's 10 week schedule and I can but I do not have any additional time for studying topics that I am struggling with. I know I need to review Newtonian Motion (I went over it 6 weeks ago) but still have not found the time to go back and review it. Needless to say I am not really surprised by the 9s I get in physical science.
Sigh, done complaining.

you know i just finished a grad program in molecular, went in right out of undergrad. I also think about this, but have to say that i dont thing its night and day differant from being a full time student. I think its the other responsibilities that most people who have jobs have, like big bills, house, kids, sig others. Luckely i dont really have any of that yet, and even though i work full time and do get tierd at times when im studying, it was similar from when i was in school......class all day, dinner then study at night

but i would rather have nothing to do but study
and if your job blows ass (as does mine), not really its just not for me i have realized, its a bit more motivation

Members don't see this ad :)
I gotta say...it really sucks working full time and studying for this test. It gets really rough by thursday, and I can definitely be a real butthead at work sometimes. Although, being at work is really a constant reminder that I need to do well on this test. I'm just really trying to push myself every day even though sometimes I dont want to do crap, however now that I am done with content reveiw, I kind of think the practice tests are fun.....I kind of look at it as a personal challenge...so that usually helps....good luck all

Same here. Mad that I have to work full time and go to school full time :mad: Studying for this beast makes it even worse. I can't get to study for more than 6 hours a day. Although I would say only 3 - 4 of those hours are really productive. Anyway, I work in the hospital and seeing all these young doctors around who are 5 - 10 years younger than me provide the motivation to study.

The summer I took the MCAT, I worked 40-50 hours in lab a week and studied. I didn't really feel the need to vent.

sentrosi said:
The summer I took the MCAT, I worked 40-50 hours in lab a week and studied. I didn't really feel the need to vent.

...but you feel the need to post here.

working full time does suck. my work hours fluctuate, from 40 to 90hrs per week. But I try to maintain a study schedule and study whenever I can. During my lunch break, I usually listen to Audio Osmosis while I walk for about an hour. (It's a good stress release from work as well as from the imminent MCAT). I've thought about quitting my job so I could study full time. However, I know how I like to study under pressure and that I need the money. So I force myself to balance studying with work and whatever life that still exists outside of those two. I guess my hellish work schedule is practice for the real deal later on.

pufferfish said:
...but you feel the need to post here.
Posting is not necessarily venting. I think not spending 100% of your time studying is a good thing.

sentrosi said:
Posting is not necessarily venting. I think not spending 100% of your time studying is a good thing.

What works for some does not work for all.