Working full time studying for DAT......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmoncr13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody in this situation or have experience in this area? How long did it take you? The traditional 3 months or more?

Members don't see this ad.

I studied from mid January until May. This was while I was taking a full load of classes (physiology, Ochem and Ochem lab etc) as well as working pat time in a research lab. (Not to mention I am married and have a life)

Taking that long definitely made it easier to balance stuff, but I had to review stuff in April that I learned in January because of the long time studying.

It is definitely doable. Just make a study plan and make sure you put in the hours of studying you need. I did about 2 hours a day.

Studied for the DAT for 3-4 weeks working two jobs and my son was born two weeks into studying. Put your nose to the grindstone and put in the time and hopefully you will be rewarded.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was working 20hr a week and taking 12 units/quarter, so I studied from February - Mid-June (~6hrs/day 3days/weeks)

Worked full time & went on business trips while studying for the DAT.
I spent at least 2hrs a day studying for it and all day on the weekends for 3 months.

It can be done!!!

I started studying for the DAT while still in school in March and took the exam in June. I started working in mid May so there was some overlap of working and studying. If possible, see if you can take two weeks off before the exam to devote wholeheartedly to studying--that's what I was able to do and it was definitely super helpful :)

I worked full-time, took courses part-time and studied for the DAT. I wrote it in November and started studying in September. I studied most efficiently in October as I began feeling the pressure. It's all totally do-able depending on your ability to efficiently manage your time and energy levels. Be as self-aware as possible when it comes to your study habits and how you learn and retain information the best... like best time of day, best method of learning (audio, visual, etc.), and best eating/sleep schedule. For example, don't continue studying late into the night if you're exhausted because then you'll be exhausted for work the next day and then exhausted again when you start studying in the evening and the cycle doesn't stop and you'll lose motivation. Remember to take breaks and give yourself a day or two here or there when you feel like you're starting to burn out. Good luck :)

There are 168 hours/week. So, 128 left over after working, 80 left over after sleeping (assuming 7 hours/night), that leave 11 hours/day for other activities. It will be busy, but it's shortlived.

I worked full-time, studied for the DAT, wrote my thesis for graduate school, and got really sick all at the same time. Ended up putting in about 4-6 hours a day of studying for around 2.5 weeks. Got a 20 AA. Not the best score, but its doable. You will be miserable and probably have a mental breakdown or two but if I got through it, you can too.