Working in Canada with US training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmallBird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with, or know someone who has worked in Canada after doing a residency in the US? I'm hoping to do a CAP fellowship here, and would be interested to know how people have experienced working in Canada after training here.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a U.S. Citizen?

How would US citizenship pertain to working in Canada? Do you happen to have information for US citizens about working in Canada? If so can you say more? I'm interested! Thanks!

Do you happen to have information for US citizens about working in Canada? If so can you say more? I'm interested! Thanks!
Not much. Getting the Canadian work permit doesn't seem too hard to get, but the license to work as a psychiatrist gets hinky, as requirements differ from one province to the next. I was looking specifically at British Columbia (where it looked harder) than some of the landlocked provinces that didn't interest me as much. There is also another step in that their residency process is 5 years and I seem to remember something about needing to do an additional year of training for some.

I looked into this ages ago. Google would probably be a lot more helpful than me at this point.

Health Force Ontario is a actually a great resource to start gathering information. And they will provide you with resources not only for Ontario but the entire Canada.

The rule of thumb, for all specialties, in Canada is that to be board-certified the length of training in the US must equal the length of training in Canada. Psychiatry in Canada is 5 years so one must do a 4 year psychiatry program here in the US plus one year of fellowship in order to have 5 years total. This means automatic fellowship in the US, or so I understand. Currently the residency must also be ACGME accredited, AOA (osteopathic) medical training is only accepted if someone went to a DO school and then did ACGME residency.

Health Force Ontario is a actually a great resource to start gathering information. And they will provide you with resources not only for Ontario but the entire Canada.

The rule of thumb, for all specialties, in Canada is that to be board-certified the length of training in the US must equal the length of training in Canada. Psychiatry in Canada is 5 years so one must do a 4 year psychiatry program here in the US plus one year of fellowship in order to have 5 years total. This means automatic fellowship in the US, or so I understand. Currently the residency must also be ACGME accredited, AOA (osteopathic) medical training is only accepted if someone went to a DO school and then did ACGME residency.

Thank you for these helpful responses!