working in the context of a broken world

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The cynic in me will tell you that the U.S. economy needs cheap labor to exploit in order to keep functioning smoothly. They have to come from somewhere and the working population is dwindling since the boomers are edging toward retirement/death. If the lack of lawn services in my area this year are any indication, immigrants alone will not supply this. Shootings may just be the cost of doing business in some people's eyes.
Wow! You went full cynic on that post. ;)

That being said, the US economy's unhealthy dependence on exploiting cheap labor is something I have been aware of for awhile. It became crystal clear when I moved from southern California to rural areas far from the supply of immigrant labor. I was completely opposed to building a border wall, but I am also opposed to creating an exploitative situation. My dad used to say way back in the early 90s that we should just make it legal for anyone to come in and more and more I think he was probably right. Defacto open borders for illegal immigration that creates an underground cheap labor pool are definitely a bad idea and trying to close out the rest of the world is a bad one too. I don't have any bright ideas to solve this, but as Lucy told Charlie Brown, "the first step is recognizing that you have a problem."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user