Working part time/per diem after graduation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nope80

Resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems like there is a good amount of money to be made working random shifts part time or per diem as a hospitalist. The question I have is does this look bad on ones resume if after graduation they take on this type of job while trying to figure things out? Especially after doing a subspecialty? The advantage is you have a huge amount of flexibility while doing this type of work which one may not be able to have working in their subspecialty. But at the same time, I feel as though it may make it hard to get back into your subspecialty again if you spend some time doing this? Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

It seems like there is a good amount of money to be made working random shifts part time or per diem as a hospitalist. The question I have is does this look bad on ones resume if after graduation they take on this type of job while trying to figure things out? Especially after doing a subspecialty? The advantage is you have a huge amount of flexibility while doing this type of work which one may not be able to have working in their subspecialty. But at the same time, I feel as though it may make it hard to get back into your subspecialty again if you spend some time doing this? Thoughts?
It doesn't look great. Especially if you're doing it in general IM rather than cards. Doing locums for a year while you figure out where you want to be, or wait for a partner to graduate/find a job somewhere or wait for a sick parent to die, is totally reasonable and won't be looked down on at all.

But if you applied to my sub-specialty group after a year or so as a locums hospitalist, I would assume 1 of 2 things:
1. You were in it for the money, which is fine if that's what you're in medicine for, but I don't want you as a partner.
2. You struggled to find a job in your specialty and I don't even care why...Bye Felicia.