Working per diem while in med school. Bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dielsalder34

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have an opportunity to stay at my current job as a NA on a per diem basis while in medical school. Per diem status is roughly one 8 hour shift per week. Do you think it would be a bad idea to do this? The extra 500 bucks a month + some facetime with providers would be a nice benefit of the job.

Thanks for any feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Only 8 hours per week I would do it to be honest, as long as you do not have to pre-prep or post-prep anything prior or after your weekly shifts.

Check your schools policy for working during medical school.

I'd be comfortable with working 8 hrs per week max, but would maybe wait to see how the first semester goes as those 8 hours can really be needed.

If you find that you value those 8 hours of free-time too much, I would also consider looking into tutoring. I'm planning on doing at least 2-4 hrs per week to keep it light but just enough that it can add up for funds month per month due to the nice hourly rates medical students can command in my area.

Members don't see this ad :)
Biggest regret I had in medical school was not working for the library. Spent all my time there and the most they ever did was walk around taking count of who was all there and rearranging some books. Basically getting paid to study.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

I have an opportunity to stay at my current job as a NA on a per diem basis while in medical school. Per diem status is roughly one 8 hour shift per week. Do you think it would be a bad idea to do this? The extra 500 bucks a month + some facetime with providers would be a nice benefit of the job.

Thanks for any feedback.
Recipe for disaster unless you are a wizard of time mgt.

Many med schools will not allow you to work while being a student

Reactions: 2 users
You can absolutely work during med school if you are reasonably intelligent.

Reactions: 1 user