working professional, need a plan for application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Seldonzin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been working as a financial analyst at a hospital and recently been thinking about applying to med school. i understand how competitive it is, but i'd like to create a plan and work on submitting a competitive application.

my undergrad gpa was 3.0 and here the courses that i took that possibly count for pre-req:

physics 1: B+
physics 2: B
physics lab: A

chem 1: B+
chem lab: A-

writing 1: B+
writing 2: B

i've been working for a couple of years and feel that professionally i'm more successful than i was a student. i'd like to go back can finish my pre-reqs and take the mcats. are post-bacc programs more advantageous than just taking courses as a non-matriculated student? also,should i retake the courses i've already taken? what are some ways, as non traditional student, you've prepared yourself for applying? any suggestions?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, it depends when you took those courses. If I am not mistaken, I think you only have a certain amount of time to use your classes towards your pre-med requirements.

A post-bacc program in the sciences may be rough for you, since you don't appear to have the background to succeed in them. What would be the point of paying for a program which will hurt you rather than help you.

You will be good community service hours, work experience, and letters of recommendations in addition to strong GPA and MCAT score.

If I were in your position, I would set up an appointment with a medical school advisor at an institution near you and get your name in their system and have them guide you in the right direction. That is what I did, and now I have a solid plan to go by. Good luck.

Honestly, it depends when you took those courses. If I am not mistaken, I think you only have a certain amount of time to use your classes towards your pre-med requirements.
Generally incorrect. It's important to have some recent hard science when you apply, but only a small number of med schools "expire" prereqs. Such as UMass, 6 years.

In the OP's case, I'd be concerned about whether the physics/chem already taken were of premed rigor. If it doesn't cover what's on the MCAT, it's not premed rigor.

A post-bacc program in the sciences may be rough for you, since you don't appear to have the background to succeed in them. What would be the point of paying for a program which will hurt you rather than help you.
??? A's and B's in physics and chem are a background to succeed.

OP, structured formal name-brand postbacs (you may have heard of Bryn Mawr, Goucher, Scripps) won't take you if you've already done some or all of the prereqs. But there are plenty of structured/unstructured/public/private programs, in addition to taking classes a la carte. Think about registration priority and financial aid. See the postbac forum for more info.

Lastly, premed advisers are hit and miss. Get 3 opinions for any decision point.

Best of luck to you.

came from a finance background, did well undergrad, had to apply to med school 2x before being accepted.

I did well undergrad, high gpa, had issues with one gmat section (others were above accepted student averages) and lacked clinical volunteer experience.

If there's one thing I've learned, its that the competition is the top of the field, in every aspect; everything you do must be above average.

Haven't seen enough on your background regarding competitiveness, typical accepted GPA is somewhere in the 3.5-3.7 range.

In my years prep work, and entering MS2 now, I have had a number of thoughts about what I've given up, as you mention, being good at what you do, and likely better paid than you'll be until working as a board certified physician. Lots of good things about medicine, but it's also draining to be a "trainee" for 10 years, after you've had professional success and been well compensated for it.