working towards loftier goals, can it be done, how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question: For those of us who have loftier goals in mind such as heads of committees, hospitals, policy makers, etc, how does one obtain these larger goals? Note I am no gunner, see other posts, but what dose it take? Connections? I wouldn't even know where to start. I'll just come out and say it: I'd like to be head of planned parenthood and/or other constellation of low income clinics in the US. Do I need to be involved in policy/politics, change a law in my city/state to get recognition!? How do the big guys and gals get to where they are?

Members don't see this ad.

connections. these days, its all who you know. that is why i laugh when people say "don't do medicine, go into business and make more money faster" when the reality is that most people have aspirations of running companies end in middle management. it is rarer for someone to aspire to be a CEO and make it than a 3.0 DO student to become a world renowned neurosurgeon.

connections. these days, its all who you know. that is why i laugh when people say "don't do medicine, go into business and make more money faster" when the reality is that most people have aspirations of running companies end in middle management. it is rarer for someone to aspire to be a CEO and make it than a 3.0 DO student to become a world renowned neurosurgeon.

Agreed. Ive been out in the work world for a while and just like frky said...connections are your friend. This comes into play even more in the working world than the med school admissions game.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. Ive been out in the work world for a while and just like frky said...connections are your friend. This comes into play even more in the working world than the med school admissions game.

Good point. Being in the right place at the right time is another intangible thing (think luck) that could get you there, but I'd vote connections 100%.

At least with med school, it IS a numbers game. You generally can get in and make it to the top just by being good enough and on your own dime, own horsepower, etc. From my experience, unless you OWN that corporation or 501c3, you're just another number and face, capable of being moved like a chess piece.

I am fairly well connected (for a med-student) with my city's homeless services providers. In my opinion, more than connections, it takes dedication and consistency.

As a physician in the non-profit world you'll soon find that the pay isn't good, the work is often thankless and gruelling, and burnout is high. The guys at the top are the one's with real commitment and dedication to what the org does. They stay around when things get tough, and they are natural leaders.

If you're truly dedicated, you'll probably get as much responsibility heaped upon you as you're willing and able to handle.