Working vs a master's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted563975

remove

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on how much research experience you can get while you're in your Master's program.

Members don't see this ad :)
1280, planning to retake for a higher score. I have not yet taken the psych gre's.

You really have to analyze your application and figure out your weaknesses. I went through a terminal master's program and it was the best decision for me. I needed more foundational coursework (as it was a career change), and connections in the field. I needed to make sure my area of interest WAS my actual area of interest, and if continuing onward to a PhD program was right for me. It worked out perfectly, and I'm glad I made the decision.

I would start by figuring out what areas you need to improve to become competitive, as well as what you need to know about yourself (ex. are you sure what area you want to go in? Are you sure a PhD is right for you? What is your final career goal?). I think once you can list and articulate those, then you will have a good idea what the best path for you is.

There is also no harm in applying to both- if you apply to 10-15 PhD programs, then adding on 2-4 master's programs won't make much of a difference. You can always see how the application cycle goes and make your final decision in the spring.