Employment & Professional Networking Working while in school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

epsoftball9

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm on the fence about working in OT school. What are some jobs everyone has had while in school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have not started OT school yet but I plan to wait tables on the weekends like I did in undergrad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are quite a few students that work part-time. Just an FYI.
I work as a personal trainer and I put a lot of effort into programming for my clients. I don't want to take away from school, but I don't want to be relying solely on loans

I would recommend not working the first semester to get a feel of the pace. Only around 10% of my cohort work.

In my program, most people worked during our first semester. The classes were from 9 to 1230. Sometimes though, we had to do stuff after class (i.e.: volunteer at the senior center, do our lived experiences, school events, etc). So those who work have a hard time in those days. Check out how the schedule for your school is, and feel it out. OT school can be tough at times.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm not in a program yet but I've been a certified massage therapist for over a decade now and I worked independently, taking clients as my schedule allowed, all through undergrad. Purely based on an hourly rate, it's excellent money without the time commitment of regular employment.

So far I have saved up about 15k, hoping to be at 20-25k by this summer when I start school. Idk if it will be enough to live off of (rent, groceries, gym membership, car payments, etc), but I am hoping for a semester it is.

I played college softball so I am hoping to find a travel team to help coach

I don't start OT school until the fall, but I'm planning to continue working as ABA therapist, which I've been doing during my gap year.

The hours are fantastic (usually the "after school" time of day) and there is a lot of flexibility with scheduling because most kids get it almost 7 days a week and have numerous therapists. I know quite a few current OT students who do ABA and they find it easy to balance with coursework.

I don't start OT school until the fall, but I'm planning to continue working as ABA therapist, which I've been doing during my gap year.

The hours are fantastic (usually the "after school" time of day) and there is a lot of flexibility with scheduling because most kids get it almost 7 days a week and have numerous therapists. I know quite a few current OT students who do ABA and they find it easy to balance with coursework.
Yeah most definitely, ugh so jealous of you are you going to an OT school in IL? I was a UIC alum my heart breaks that I wasn't good enough to apply there. I worked as an ABA therapist for the Rockford region and a lot of heartbreaking DCFS cases I felt I needed to step out of.

How long and how expensive is ABA training? What kind of jobs would you be able to get if you were certified?

I am currently an ABA therapist and the company I work for paid me while I trained. I needed 40 hours before I could work on my own. I do in home therapy in Madison, WI for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I am currently an ABA therapist and the company I work for paid me while I trained. I needed 40 hours before I could work on my own. I do in home therapy in Madison, WI for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Very cool. What sort of company do you work for? Do you already have an OT degree or background in working with autistic populations?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is called the Wisconsin Early Autism Project, and no I just graduated with my Bachelors. I am going to OT school in the Fall. I had experience, but I have learned a ton on the job!

How long and how expensive is ABA training? What kind of jobs would you be able to get if you were certified?
ABA training is usually provided by whatever company you work for. That is one of the jobs I do right now. I do warn though that the money isn't the best if you aren't with a company that offers early intervention. You'll mostly get stuck with after school hours which will limit your income, even if you are working into the evening. Companies mostly look for a psych background but they also take soc, anthro, and human resources grads.

Yeah most definitely, ugh so jealous of you are you going to an OT school in IL? I was a UIC alum my heart breaks that I wasn't good enough to apply there. I worked as an ABA therapist for the Rockford region and a lot of heartbreaking DCFS cases I felt I needed to step out of.

I am! I just sent in my tuition deposit to Rush, so I'll be living and working in the city! Are you applying to any other schools in IL?

I work for a private company that offers in-home, so I don't see any DCFS referrals, but that sounds like an emotionally demanding job. ABA is really great, although I do wish that those services were more available to people who can't afford to pay through the nose.

I am! I just sent in my tuition deposit to Rush, so I'll be living and working in the city! Are you applying to any other schools in IL?

I work for a private company that offers in-home, so I don't see any DCFS referrals, but that sounds like an emotionally demanding job. ABA is really great, although I do wish that those services were more available to people who can't afford to pay through the nose.
I wish :(...my stats weren't good enough to stay in state. My heart breaks knowing I'll have to leave the city

Has anyone tried CNA while in school? Is it worth it to get the training and certification the summer before matriculation? I have heard it is pretty easy, related to OT, pays above minimum wage, and flexible. A lot of the personal care assistant jobs I can find are for CNA or CMAs.

I'm hoping to keep my OT aide job throughout, but my fiancé (PT) really advises against working at all. He old me once you end up in academic probation, you can't risk it again. I'm going to reduce my hours to 10 hours/wk and see how that goes first.

I recently did a tour with the school I got accepted into (hybrid program) and the lady told me that quite a few students actually do keep their part-time jobs. She said one student worked at a courthouse 30hrs/wk and was able to succeed in OT school.

I've saved up about 20k so I'm hoping for maybe the first year I won't have to work....thoughts?

I heard from current OT students at one of my interviews that working 10-15 hrs a week can be done, but advised waiting until after the first semester (anatomy). The ones who did work said it was easier because they knew they only had limited time to complete assignments, let them get to know other people outside their cohort, and it gave them a brief break from the academic life.

I spoke to an OT that worked 3 jobs while attending BU, i called him crazy but he said that he did what he had to do. I plan to work a per diem job

I held off on working for most of first semester, but found that I was becoming less productive with my time when the only items on my schedule included class and studying. I currently have a part-time job that is super flexible with scheduling and I also picked up a research assistant position with one of my profs as well. It's busy but doable, definitely would not recommend working more than 15 hours/week though, I learned that the hard way! I'd also recommend getting a job that is unrelated to OT school and low-stress, trust me you won't need any more stress added to your life!

worked in an after school program with kids throughout grad school (minus level II fieldwork cause that will take all of your time and energy), probably around 10 hours/week

personally it got me to become more efficient with studying - instead of rewriting the entire textbook/rote memorization (not enough time to do that) I would look for patterns and main ideas in the mountains of information presented and I was able to do well in my classes while earning some cash on the side

Reactions: 1 users