Working with a spouse.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EasTexan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Straight to the question: What are your experiences when it comes to working with a spouse? It seems fairly common to have a husband/wife dentist combo or a husband dentist and a wife who works as a hygienist, front/back office, manager, etc. Or, I come across that scenario more often when searching the web.

The wife and I were talking about this recently and she said I should work as the office manager / financial / IT guy when she opens her practice. I never really considered this, but it is interesting. I've worked in medical IT for several years now. What role could a husband of the dentist play in the practice. Do small practices tend to have full time office managers or do they usually split time as manager, front reception, case management, etc?

Obviously a different setup than most so I wanted to see if anyone has or has seen this setup? And yes, we are definitely putting the cart before the horse, counting unhatched eggs, and all that jazz. She applies this coming May, but I don't think she could be any more prepared and setup to grab an acceptance somewhere. She's a non-trad with great grads, DAT, extra's, etc.

I figured this would be discussed on DentalTown, but they keep kicking me off the site... :unsure:

Members don't see this ad.

Straight to the question: What are your experiences when it comes to working with a spouse? It seems fairly common to have a husband/wife dentist combo or a husband dentist and a wife who works as a hygienist, front/back office, manager, etc. Or, I come across that scenario more often when searching the web.

The wife and I were talking about this recently and she said I should work as the office manager / financial / IT guy when she opens her practice. I never really considered this, but it is interesting. I've worked in medical IT for several years now. What role could a husband of the dentist play in the practice. Do small practices tend to have full time office managers or do they usually split time as manager, front reception, case management, etc?

Obviously a different setup than most so I wanted to see if anyone has or has seen this setup? And yes, we are definitely putting the cart before the horse, counting unhatched eggs, and all that jazz. She applies this coming May, but I don't think she could be any more prepared and setup to grab an acceptance somewhere. She's a non-trad with great grads, DAT, extra's, etc.

I figured this would be discussed on DentalTown, but they keep kicking me off the site... :unsure:
That sounds reasonable for you to do the whole managing, IT, and finance stuff. It will save you guys money when she first opens her practice. I've seen a few practices with a spouse running the show in the back. As you guys get more patients, maybe consider hiring full-time staff to help carry the workload.

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but how come you can't register on DentalTown? I'm pre-dent, and I was still able to sign up with no problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this isn't an answer to your question, but how come you can't register on DentalTown? I'm pre-dent, and I was still able to sign up with no problems.
I haven't tried recently, but the last time I tried they wanted "proof" that I was connected to the dental field. However, I still receive their informational emails and magazine. I need to try signing up again.

I registered when I was a pre-dent... I think I said I was a dental student :oops:

I registered when I was a pre-dent... I think I said I was a dental student :oops:
I think that's what I said originally. Then I got an email asking to verify by replying from my dental school email. Oops! So, yea, they banned me. I just signed up again and said I was pre-dent. I'll use the wife's undergrad email if necessary.

On topic: Ran across this article related to my question: http://www.dentaleconomics.com/arti...ntal-spouses-the-great-untapped-resource.html

Reading what some dentists pay for IT packages, you'd save a ton a dough just getting her set up with that.

I'm pre-dental, but I've shadowed a couple dentists. Some have office managers, some don't. Personally I think the ones that don't are missing out, wanting to make sure things are done right but missing out on productivity in the process.

If you're just saving her time, it's not worth it. If you're not only saving her time but filling that free time with production opportunities, then it's worthwhile. Be a business partner, not just her manager. Brainstorm marketing ideas, do what you can to keep patients delighted, etc

What I'm trying to say is "would there be enough work for me to do" starts out with the wrong mindset. As far as pre-existing tasks waiting for you to do, no ... those might not fill your time. But there's no limit to the tasks if you consider yourself a business partner.

Reactions: 1 user
Reading what some dentists pay for IT packages, you'd save a ton a dough just getting her set up with that.

I'm pre-dental, but I've shadowed a couple dentists. Some have office managers, some don't. Personally I think the ones that don't are missing out, wanting to make sure things are done right but missing out on productivity in the process.

If you're just saving her time, it's not worth it. If you're not only saving her time but filling that free time with production opportunities, then it's worthwhile. Be a business partner, not just her manager. Brainstorm marketing ideas, do what you can to keep patients delighted, etc

What I'm trying to say is "would there be enough work for me to do" starts out with the wrong mindset. As far as pre-existing tasks waiting for you to do, no ... those might not fill your time. But there's no limit to the tasks if you consider yourself a business partner.

Excellent reply and I agree on having the business partner mindset. My main job duty is to keep systems running smoothly (system admin...) This is done by being well organized, documenting everything, and research. Lots and lots of research in to best practices. I think this could transfer well (just speculating) to the dental office in terms of trying to push things on the business and processes side. I can already tell that DT is going to be a great resource in this. I've also run across several more threads there on the roles a spouse can play in the practice. Great stuff.

And yes, I see first hand every day how costly medical technology systems are. It's crazy.

Pros and cons for sure.

When it works right, it can be a great asset. When it isn't working right, and the workplace over time can certainly create some stress on a relationship, then you can have some serious potential issues at both work and home.

Also, if you have a both spouses in the practice, especially if it's not a situation where the spouses are "equals" (i.e. both being dentists) in the office chain of command, then you WILL have situations where the other staff members WILL look at the spouse as getting preferential treatment from the "boss" and that can create interoffice tension amongst the staff members, which rarely, if ever is a good thing for the overall office dynamics

I guess it would be good to set expectations up front and reevaluate frequently to be sure the relationship and office chemistry is in line with expectations. I definitely see how things could go south quickly if everyone isn't on the same page.

If/when we reach that point we'll be sure to tread lightly. At the very least I'll be able to provide the tech support side of things and already have a handle (if you can call it that...) on the beast that is HIPAA and HITECH.