Workload? What's average?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stickyshift

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just surveying the landscape.
For all of you gainfully employed pathologists, what would you say is an average workload for someone in private practice pathology? Just trying to get an idea of how overworked/underworked the people in my practice are, compared to whatever you guys think is average, particularly in terms of

--annual surgical path accessions
--weekly hours worked

Members don't see this ad.

Just surveying the landscape.
For all of you gainfully employed pathologists, what would you say is an average workload for someone in private practice pathology? Just trying to get an idea of how overworked/underworked the people in my practice are, compared to whatever you guys think is average, particularly in terms of

--annual surgical path accessions
--weekly hours worked
Paid for 40 /week but actual work around 20 hours.
Around 5000 surgicals 2000 cytologies, 20 autopsies, 10 frozen sections.

Each pathologist should be signing out at least 10,000 surgicals a year. I've worked at labs where you push glass till you throw clots.

Members don't see this ad :)
I exclusively do dermpath and signout 20,000 - 24,000 accessions per year with an additional approx. 1,000 consults per year and some resident teaching. I don't gross or do frozens.

Last edited:
The number of cases varies a lot by the case mix.
Most general pathology hospital practices still do 3500-5000 accessions.
I have to slow down a lot on big resection and I have other clinical duties.

I did between 7-8K last year and the year before of general surgicals from all my labs. That is a doable load if you are a seasoned pair of eyes with the willingness to work at night and on weekends.

Reactions: 1 user
Yep, you kill it. We are talking averages.

This question is the equivalent of "what do you bench bro?" The Juan Brosai's of this thread are going to spout off numbers like 8k specimens just like the 170 lb college bro used to look at me with a straight face and tell me he was putting up 225.

This question is the equivalent of "what do you bench bro?" The Juan Brosai's of this thread are going to spout off numbers like 8k specimens just like the 170 lb college bro used to look at me with a straight face and tell me he was putting up 225.

I do max press 215-225 depending on my shoulder situation which is iffy at my age. My goal for end of 2016 includes 285, 12%BF and 2 mi in <14min. Pathology goals have already been met and I honestly Im getting to the less interested in "making yet even more bank" phase of my life..

I do max press 215-225 depending on my shoulder situation which is iffy at my age. My goal for end of 2016 includes 285, 12%BF and 2 mi in <14min. Pathology goals have already been met and I honestly Im getting to the less interested in "making yet even more bank" phase of my life..

Memento mori

Hell we all sign out over 10,000 here and we do very little derm. Pre-embolism I could put out 12,000

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not knocking your lifestyle if you wish to sign out >6K cases per year. If money is your priority, then keep pushing glass for 12 hrs/day, 7 days a week. I guess you can't have it both ways.

One thing that I've always wondered about is the quality of the work when you're pushing that much glass. What do your reports look like? I've seen both sides of the spectrum, and more times than not... those who sign a ridiculous number of cases per day/year craft really ****tastic reports. I guess maybe the exception may be those who are super-specialized and only look @ derm or GI all day...

Reactions: 1 user
We have about 2700 SP cases per pathologist, about 70% biopsies, 15% 88307s, and 15% ditzels. We also spend one day a week just grossing and doing frozen sections and have a pretty busy FNA service, but it's clear from this thread that we could be busier. I definitely feel like the skinny guy at the beach.

I'm not knocking your lifestyle if you wish to sign out >6K cases per year. If money is your priority, then keep pushing glass for 12 hrs/day, 7 days a week. I guess you can't have it both ways.

One thing that I've always wondered about is the quality of the work when you're pushing that much glass. What do your reports look like? I've seen both sides of the spectrum, and more times than not... those who sign a ridiculous number of cases per day/year craft really ****tastic reports. I guess maybe the exception may be those who are super-specialized and only look @ derm or GI all day...

Dont know about the guys on this thread but a significant amount of my load is subspec sign out which I can do very very efficiently. My reports are completely standard faire and if anything Im probably more wordy and detailed than the average private prac guy but much less than the average Stanford/Mayo/Hopkins resident-driven wall of text report.

I know guys who did/do 10,000-12,000 gen surgicals AND do all the grossing AND do all the lab med director duties and even at this point in my career I am unsure how they did/do it. There is one guy who I think is dead now that was legendary for doing for this in CA. Chain smoked, drank hard after work I think and would gross in a room with no AC in a wife beater tank top like he was an engineer on a Soviet sub. The result was I guess predictable.

I guess I'm pretty average here: about 5000 SP/year. But I do around 70-80 bone marrow exams/year, meaning I actually perform the aspirations and biopsies. How many of you guys do those?

I guess I'm pretty average here: about 5000 SP/year. But I do around 70-80 bone marrow exams/year, meaning I actually perform the aspirations and biopsies. How many of you guys do those?

I learned within weeks of my first job procedures were the bane of any high efficiency pathologist. Autopsies, bone marrow procedures and FNA (either attending them in interventional rads or doing them solo) are EPIC time sinks. I was able to jettison this dark triad after a year or so of concerted effort.

We were able to get rid of the autopsies, but I'm afraid I'm still stuck with the other two.
We minimize the time on FNA adequacies by sending a tech when IR calls. The tech calls me when the first pass is ready to read.
Who does your bone marrows? IR? Or the heme/oncs?

Around 25K specimens last year. Derm only. No grossing. Also did medical directorships and some resident teaching.

Not sure what the average is, but this was a paper from 2011 that was dermpath specific http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=boyd+as+fang

In this, they state that of the 110 people who responded to the survey, 41% of private practice dermpaths signed out 10-25,000 a year, 18% signed out >25000, 28% signed out 5-10,000. ACademics were less, 44% were 5-10,000

5000 surgical accessions/yr (more with total specimens per case). Full mix of 88302's -09's. 500 non-gyn cytologies. 100 frozens. ALL grossing of big cases (this is a major time occupier and I wish I had a PA). No autopsies, No BM's anymore (sent out), and no FNA adequacies (diagnosis only).

Each pathologist should be signing out at least 10,000 surgicals a year

Highly variable and certainly not applicable to any and every pathologist. If you're in a GI pod lab, sure. If you're in a hospital based setting where you have large cases, grossing responsibility, committee meetings, clinical duties, etc.: impossible.

Anyway, I have my $300k job for next year and this will rise to $500k the year after that
I exclusively do dermpath and signout 20,000 - 24,000 accessions per year with an additional approx. 1,000 consults per year and some resident teaching. I don't gross or do frozens.

You're earning every penny! :thumbup:

I was hired a couple of years ago at a private practice group...Salary when I make partner: around $500K.
We have about 2700 SP cases per pathologist, about 70% biopsies, 15% 88307s, and 15% ditzels. We also spend one day a week just grossing and doing frozen sections and have a pretty busy FNA service, but it's clear from this thread that we could be busier. I definitely feel like the skinny guy at the beach.

Dude, 2700 surgicals for $500K/yr. I'd be proud to be the skinny guy at the beach. :bow:

Pathology goals have already been met and I honestly Im getting to the less interested in "making yet even more bank" phase of my life..

Understandable. The older you get, the more you realize there's more to life than making bank and how to make the remaining years in life worthwhile. Many of us don't think about this in the gunner phase of med school/residency or the early stages of our careers, when many want to get their piece of the pie. Although even after some people achieve financial stability, there's still some workaholic types out there who are willing to die at the scope like it's they are on a kind of pathology jihad and they're doing it for the field. Not me...

Who does your bone marrows? IR? Or the heme/oncs?
Prior to my arrival at my current institution, the pathologists here performed BM's and interpreted them. When I arrived, the heme-oncs were doing the procedure and we would issue an adjunct report in conjunction with flow that had to be sent out. Now, the reference lab we use does everything. And with the procedure aspect already being done by the heme-oncs, our involvement is next to nil.

Around 25K specimens last year. Derm only. No grossing.

I hope you're also getting paid around $500K/yr...

Last edited:
For some people, work is nothing as they have no job! Salary is welfare from the government!

For 25K specimens hopefully he/she is making FAR more than $500K a year. Should be double that.

Some pod labs pay their pathologist about 6-8$ a specimen. That equals 150-250K.

This sounds like a sweet gig. On the other hand, I don't gross any more (We have a PA.). But I would go back to slabbing meat for $500K!

Some pod labs pay their pathologist about 6-8$ a specimen. That equals 150-250K.
And that's why one shouldn't work for a pod lab. The revenue on 25K specimens is in the millions of dollars. If you volunteer to make $6-8/specimen, that's on you.

I do not work for a pod lab. $6-8/ specimen is simply illegal and no one should do it. Anything below 70% medicare PC is questionable even for pod labs.

It's not illegal for a lab to hire a pathologist and pay them $6-8 for reading out a specimen. It is unethical, but it's not illegal. There might be illegal things when the rest of the professional fee money goes somewhere else though, or there are other arrangements with clinicians.