Worried about biochem...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yankpak786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never took biochem in my undergrad. but I know it's in your first semester (or first year) at dental school anyways so I'm quite nervous in regards to that. Should I study or prep beforehand? Am I at a huge disadvantage in comparison to kids who have taken it already in undergrad, and if so, how do I prepare? I'm pretty apprehensive about this, I don't wanna fall behind right off the bat...

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My first time taking biochem was as a D1. It's really not that bad. I see you're going to be at NYU... Dr. Guttenplan, the guy who runs the class, is absolutely wonderful. He's patient and takes time with students to explain and clarify whatever you don't understand. He's a really great guy. And he also tends to curve at the end of the semester to make sure more people get through it and don't have to remediate the class. It's not easy to get an A by any means, but as long as you keep up with the studying and ask questions about things you don't understand, you should be okay.

^ Depends on your strengths. I had a much easier time with both gross anatomy and neuroanatomy than I did with biochem. But that's because I think my brain is wired to hate anything chem related at this point. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My first time taking biochem was as a D1. It's really not that bad. I see you're going to be at NYU... Dr. Guttenplan, the guy who runs the class, is absolutely wonderful. He's patient and takes time with students to explain and clarify whatever you don't understand. He's a really great guy. And he also tends to curve at the end of the semester to make sure more people get through it and don't have to remediate the class. It's not easy to get an A by any means, but as long as you keep up with the studying and ask questions about things you don't understand, you should be okay.
That's def. relieving to hear, do you think having an excellent background in Orgo can help? I got a 24 in that section, I just hope I get at least a B, I'm gonna start reviewing the amino acids over the summer.

It really depends on your professor, but in general dental biochem is one of the easier basic science courses.

Now, neuroanatomy/gross anatomy on the other hand.....:nailbiting:
I love anything related to biology or anatomy... (shadowed a Physical Therapist for 2 years and read a lot of anatomy books) but yes, I'm sure it's going to be a whole other ballgame. What's the best way to study for these classes? I have so may questions >.> I feel like I'm not going to be able to efficiently study and it'll ruin my chances of doing well

Dude that's choiiiice. It's required for all Texas schools and even my bio degree requires it lol
Honestly, in retrospect, I wish I would have taken it, I bet it helps to be familiar with such a behemoth of a subject

I would memorize all your Amino acids now. Structures, characteristics, 3 letter and 1 letter designations for them. That will help you a lot and is easy to do on your own

Reactions: 1 user
That's def. relieving to hear, do you think having an excellent background in Orgo can help? I got a 24 in that section, I just hope I get at least a B, I'm gonna start reviewing the amino acids over the summer.
Just finished biochem last semester and the only that Orgo helps with is knowing how to draw arrow pushing mechanisms. A thorough review of glycolysis, CAC cycle, ETC, etc. would be much more helpful! Also gen chem buffer equations there was a lot more math in biochem than I had expected at my school.

Amino acids are just the tip of the iceberg, lol. You spend like maximum two weeks of the semester on them and then you're on to the next topic. PM me your email and I can send you the notes from the biochem class. I'd recommend not touching it now though, it's way too early and you'll forget it by the time you're in school. But if you want to review it for like a week or two before the semester starts, that might work.

Amino acids are just the tip of the iceberg, lol. You spend like maximum two weeks of the semester on them and then you're on to the next topic. PM me your email and I can send you the notes from the biochem class. I'd recommend not touching it now though, it's way too early and you'll forget it by the time you're in school. But if you want to review it for like a week or two before the semester starts, that might work.
Hi, would you be able to give me a copy of your biochem notes? I would really appreciate it!