worried about institutional action

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Akon01

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was notified that there was evidence of me violating the student honor code. It's been 7 months of me fighting it since I did not cheat on my exam (we had a group phase and all my answers were the ones I discussed with my group, and I provided proof of this) but the main reason why I am being told I violated the code was because I looked at an online source that I didn't know we weren't allowed to look at. This website I looked at was one that I was allowed to use at my previous institution before I transferred to this school, so I thought it was okay for me to look at.

You may be wondering why I looked at this website? I was basically confused about a few concepts that we were being tested on so I was doing background research to help me understand while also using my notes to help me understand the concept. It ended up being that me accessing this website, despite not using anything I saw in my exam's answers (I provided proof that my answers were unchanged from what my group and I discussed) they are saying that I still violated the honor code. I got notification today that I will be getting a one-semester suspension for the summer, and I am appealing this because I think this punishment is disproportionate to what was done (me accessing a website I didn't know I wasn't allowed to access).

Regardless of what the end result of my appeal is (hopefully they'll lower this punishment), I know this counted as an IA from the day I got a notification from my school. I'm not applying to medical school yet, but I know this is something I will have to report. I will report it because I've always been someone that values honesty in everything I do. I'm the type of student that values hard work and honesty, so much so that I've told my Professors when they've entered in a grade higher on my online grade book than what they wrote down on my assignment.

Knowing all the information I've given you thus far, how bad do you think this harms my chances of getting accepted into a medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I was notified that there was evidence of me violating the student honor code. It's been 7 months of me fighting it since I did not cheat on my exam (we had a group phase and all my answers were the ones I discussed with my group, and I provided proof of this) but the main reason why I am being told I violated the code was because I looked at an online source that I didn't know we weren't allowed to look at. This website I looked at was one that I was allowed to use at my previous institution before I transferred to this school, so I thought it was okay for me to look at.

You may be wondering why I looked at this website? I was basically confused about a few concepts that we were being tested on so I was doing background research to help me understand while also using my notes to help me understand the concept. It ended up being that me accessing this website, despite not using anything I saw in my exam's answers (I provided proof that my answers were unchanged from what my group and I discussed) they are saying that I still violated the honor code. I got notification today that I will be getting a one-semester suspension for the summer, and I am appealing this because I think this punishment is disproportionate to what was done (me accessing a website I didn't know I wasn't allowed to access).
What did the course syllabus say about valid and invalid website sources?

The bolded is a weak defense.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
What did the course syllabus say about valid and invalid website sources?

The bolded is a weak defense.
Yes, the part you bolded was my mistake. It was a false assumption and I should not have done that just because of my last institution's Professors allowing it. I have now learned from that.

The last page on the course syllabus that discussed this stated that the website I had accessed was prohibited from being used in the class. While we were allowed to use resources, the syllabus stated that this one specific website was not allowed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the part you bolded was my mistake. It was a false assumption and I should not have done that just because of my last institution's Professors allowing it. I have now learned from that.

The last page on the course syllabus that discussed this stated that the website I had accessed was prohibited from being used in the class. While we were allowed to use resources, the syllabus stated that this one specific website was not allowed.
You're guilty of not being responsible enough to read the course syllabus.

Own this and don't screw up again.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask about getting it expunged if you keep your nose clean.