Worried about OMM COMAT Shelf performance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiths11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was the first year in my school that the OMM COMAT was given as our final exam in 2nd year. I thought it was hard as hell and am seriously worried about failing OMM, which means I'd have to repeat the year.

To make matters worse, I am not sure how my school will grade it. Typically, my school grades exams based on a pre-set standard deviation formula which itself is based off of mean scores of all previous classes. If we were to apply the COMAT % score to this formula, I would need a 47.5% to pass the course.

47.5% is low, but it really was far more difficult than I had expected. I had read the entire Savorese book and did COMBANK questions to prepare. To me COMBANK was far easier in comparison.

I didn't even get to finish the exam because there wasn't enough time. I guessed on 5 of the last 10, and didn't even have time to put an answer on the other 5 (exam is out of 125 questions).

So I'm freaking out, and the worst part is that we won't get the grade back for another 2-3 weeks.

How does your school grade the COMAT? Where can I find average scores? Any other advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

If you really read all of Savarese and did questions on Combank, I'm sure you did fine.

My school's policy for the shelfs is that if you get <2 SDs below the class mean, then you fail (so at most 2.5% would fail). I actually think no one (or maybe 1 person) failed the OMM shelf.

If you fail OPP you have to repeat the year? They don't let you just take a remediation exam? That's crazy.

Anyway, don't worry about it. Many people ran out of time on it. I think I just bubbled something random in for the last question when I took it last semester, and I wasn't the only one that felt rushed at the very end.

Reactions: 1 user
IMO there's no way you got less than the 48% you need. I suck at OMM and pretty much refused to study it after about midway through 2nd semester of 1st year. Despite this, I managed to honor the OMM COMAT in 3rd year. You'll be fine!

Try not to stress.