Worried about switch from nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzxxzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my first interview is around the corner, and I'm not sure how to address this if it comes up. I was in a nursing program for about a semester, then switched to premed. I have been told to completely avoid bringing this up for one reason or another. Can anyone weigh in on how to potentially address this? Or is it a non-issue?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well its not completely the same especially since I am finishing my program but both my interviews so far wanted to know about my switch from pharmacy to medicine. I just explained, was met with something along the lines of "O i can see why you want to change careers" and then we moved on.

People switch majors and tracks all the time in undergrad, so your single semester in the nursing may not be that big of a deal.

If they do bring it up, just articulate why/how you will be more satisfied as a doctor vs nurse--think about the training differences and the types of patient care they deliver (among other factors).

This reminds me of the classic interview question of "Why medicine?" If you say, "I like working/caring for patients," then usually the follow-up question is "Why not nursing, instead?"

Members don't see this ad :)
Just say you want to be the boss.

Kidding about that. Why would you avoid that topic completely? Especially if it showed you that you'd rather practice medicine than nursing.

No reason to avoid it. Like others have said, it shouldn't be treated any differently than switching from any other major. Again, just state why you would be more fulfilled by being a physician instead of a nurse.