Worried/bummed about GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Garurumon

a digivolving wolf
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I apologize in advance if I come across as melodramatic.

So 3rd year spring grades came in and despite my best efforts, I got B's in microbiology and organic chemistry 2. I studied the hardest and longest for ochem 2 and of all the finals, it ended up being the worst grade (a low C). I did well on the past tests (2 high Bs and an A); I could've gotten an A if it weren't for that final. I have no upward or downward trend...I pretty much stayed the same throughout college up to now with a 3.29 cGPA. My single C is in general chemistry 2. I have As here and there, but a lot of Bs. What worries me is that I haven't made a single A in the science prereqs so far. They're all B's. My school uses whole letter grading, but I know that most of those are B+s, not good enough to break through the B/A barrier. I still have senior year to go: biochemistry and general physics 1 in the fall, and genetics, biostatistics, and general physics 2 in the spring. I'm considering post-bacc after graduating in 2016 to boost my GPA. I tend to be really hard on myself...I'm the kind of person who stews over bad grades instead of being happy with the good grades. Few things frustrate me more than studying hard only to find that my best still wasn't good enough. Any advice or encouragement for senior year and beyond would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Get A's in physics and biochemistry and any other science coures too. I imagine that your sGPA isn't much higher. You will need to raise your GPA post-graduation.

If you're getting consistent Bs, then you're a few adjustments away from breaking through the A- barrier.

Some questions I'd ask:
Are you studying frequently and efficiently?
Are you doing problems that are relevant to your exams?
How are your lab grades?
Do you simulate an exam prior to the real thing?
Are you not revisiting material that you learned on a previous day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies so far. I try to study a little every day to avoid cramming. I found this to be very effective, but I have to admit it's hard to study as if the test is the next day when it's not until a couple of weeks or deceptively a long time away. This semester I felt I was doing pretty well, then I flagged and sort of burnt out towards the end. I think the lesson I'll take from this is to keep going strong and don't let up. When it came to ochem, I used a dry erase board and rewrote lecture handouts and notes. I did this more diligently, and as a result I did better in ochem 2 than I had with ochem 1, but not good enough to make the A.

Are you doing enough practice problems? Practice is key for classes like O chem, gen chem and physics.

When I took orgo 2, I began my final prep 6 weeks in advance. Obviously, that sort of effort isn't necessary for most courses, but it was an effective way to prevent the "end of semester burnout." I also asked my professor for extra problems prior to the exams and it helped a lot! Btw, you tried Anki? It might help you retain material more efficiently.

In addition, you don't have to study as if the test is the next day all the time, but it helps to quiz yourself (at least weekly) so that you can assess how comfortable you are with the material.

Reactions: 1 user
When I took orgo 2, I began my final prep 6 weeks in advance. Obviously, that sort of effort isn't necessary for most courses, but it was an effective way to prevent the "end of semester burnout." I also asked my professor for extra problems prior to the exams and it helped a lot! Btw, you tried Anki? It might help you retain material more efficiently.

In addition, you don't have to study as if the test is the next day all the time, but it helps to quiz yourself (at least weekly) so that you can assess how comfortable you are with the material.

How did you study for O Chem 1? I'm retaking it and my course is like 7-8 weeks so I pretty much have to start studying for that final from day 1 haha.

I've been experimenting with anki! How exactly did you use anki for orgo?

How did you study for O Chem 1? I'm retaking it and my course is like 7-8 weeks so I pretty much have to start studying for that final from day 1 haha.

I remember doing all of the assigned chapter problems at least twice. I highlighted "representative problems" and went back to them as often as possible in order to increase my comfort level. However, I should have paid more attention to the qualitative aspect of the subject (ie why x reacts well with y, etc). I did well in the class, but I felt that I could have learned the background material better. TBH, I simply loved doing organic problems and I'm sure that contributed to my success.

I didn't use Anki for orgo, however it can help with memorizing material.
@mehc012, donde estas?

Edit: I'd sometimes change the problems around a bit after doing them at least once. I also worked backwards, even when it wasn't required (ie looking at a product and coming up with possible reactants). That's especially useful for organic 2.

Edit part 2: As an orgo tutor, I've noticed that some people take way too much time drawing certain compounds (chairs come to mind). Make sure you can draw your structures quickly. Also, draw your mechanism and resonance arrows correctly.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. I try to study a little every day to avoid cramming. I found this to be very effective, but I have to admit it's hard to study as if the test is the next day when it's not until a couple of weeks or deceptively a long time away. This semester I felt I was doing pretty well, then I flagged and sort of burnt out towards the end. I think the lesson I'll take from this is to keep going strong and don't let up. When it came to ochem, I used a dry erase board and rewrote lecture handouts and notes. I did this more diligently, and as a result I did better in ochem 2 than I had with ochem 1, but not good enough to make the A.
What is the definition of insanity op? Be willing to change your study habits.

I used Cloze cards.

For example, I'll write out the reaction as a sentence.

Clemmensen reduction:
Ketone + Zn -Acid→ Alkane

Then, I'll use Clozing to turn that into 3 cards:
See the entire reaction, tell me the name. {{c1}}
See the name, starting material, product, tell me the reagent. {{c2}}
See the name and the reagent, tell me the starting material and product. {{c3}}

{{c1::Clemmensen reduction}}:
{{c3::Ketone::Uc}} + {{c2::Zn}} -{{c2::Acid}}→ {{c3::Alkane::Uc}}

...or whatever combination works best for you.

Then in the 'Extra' field I usually put a picture of the reaction or the mechanism, if available.

Edit: dammit, in Anki the 'Acid' would be superscripted, so it'd look like it was sitting on top of the arrow (as you usually do for reactions). Apparently SDN doesn't do the thing. Well, you can picture it.

If you're not familiar with Cloze, that would create 3 cards:

[ ] :

Clemmensen reduction:
Ketone + [ ] -[ ]→ Alkane

Clemmensen reduction:
[ ] + Zn -Acid→ [ ]

I also happen to have made all of my Cloze cards optional typing ones, which I think makes it better for learning, so mine would actually come up with a typing clue for each, like:

[Uc] :

where 'Uc' indicates that the answer would be capitalized when I type it out.