Worship of A.T. STill.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studocplsignore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not that I mind much or anything, but I was at SAAO and whenever he comes up in our OMM class, there seems to be like...a huge historical reverence about it. I totally understand why and all, but every time it happens I keep thinking of 'A.T. Still the God-King of Osteopathy' almost like it was Warhammer40k or something.

How do your schools/OMM departments treat A.T. Still?

Members don't see this ad.

Well he is no god of mine. Our OPP department is kind of annoying because they tell us to memorize his date of birth, when he built the first school and other historical reference and shizz like that. Frankly after so many exams I don't even mind because it's just free points

Reactions: 2 users
prettymuchthis.jpg

Just built this PC, so MS Paint will have to do.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
YES. Oh god, YES, that is the greatest thing ever. I wish more people at my school knew about 40k, so they'd get my God-Emperor of OMM jokes :c

Reactions: 1 user
Well he is no god of mine. Our OPP department is kind of annoying because they tell us to memorize his date of birth, when he built the first school and other historical reference and shizz like that. Frankly after so many exams I don't even mind because it's just free points
I just assume those are the questions I will get wrong. I refuse to learn that crap out of spite and ridiculousness. :(

A thousand premeds are sacrificed to him every day so that his psychic energy might pass through our hands and guide them in the practice of OMM.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At our school we are required to pray in the direction of Kirksville 5 times daily.

Reactions: 7 users

'sup bro. Maybe you follow my actual teachings and devote let time to dogmatic religion and more time to science and the mastery of it. Everyone seems to forget what I'm all about once I "died" and became this.... skeleton in a chair thingy. Sort of applicable to that old lightnin' bone setter dude. Science, not religion!

the_emperor_of_mankind_06_by_damienthevenin-d6rv2bz.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Here at KCOM they get that same "reverence" you speak of only when they talk about him in OTM. Other than that, I don't get that vibe much. (I also don't go to anything that's not required sooooo I may miss a lot of crap like that)

The Emperor of Osteopathy is the sovereign of the Doctors of Osteopathy, and Father, Teacher, and God of his profession. He has sat immobile within the OMM Bench of Kirkatorium for ten thousand years. Although once a living man, his shattered body can no longer holistically support structure and function, and remains intact only by a combination of forbidden HVLA and the sheer force of his will, itself sustained by the crushed hopes and dreams of countless millions of premeds.

For ten thousand years, the Master of Osteopathy has served physicians, simultaneously carrying out a multitude of tasks vital to their survival. All at once He guides his chosen people through Still techniques, holds audiences with his most important physicians and directs the American Academy of Osteopathy that guides students through the Match. His immense osteopathic powers constantly keep the allopathic powers of M.Ds. at bay, preventing their intrusion into the AOA Match and protecting his faithful throughout Medicare and the ACA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Every OMM lecture has a quote by him at my school but after the first couple lectures we haven't talked about him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

Not that I mind much or anything, but I was at SAAO and whenever he comes up in our OMM class, there seems to be like...a huge historical reverence about it. I totally understand why and all, but every time it happens I keep thinking of 'A.T. Still the God-King of Osteopathy' almost like it was Warhammer40k or something.

How do your schools/OMM departments treat A.T. Still?

I even interviewed at a school that was named after him. Can't get any bigger than that!

This cannot be serious, but I don't know!

Apparently this is true... that's why we all know those dates now... med school...

At our school we are required to pray in the direction of Kirksville 5 times daily.

I really shouldn't find this hilarious... but I do...

Every OMM lecture has a quote by him at my school but after the first couple lectures we haven't talked about him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk ignore spelling and/or grammar

Sounds like my school. Quote + a picture of him holding a bone. EVERY TIME, and its a different picture almost everytime. He must have just been carrying around bones with him everywhere he went.

Here at KCOM they get that same "reverence" you speak of only when they talk about him in OTM. Other than that, I don't get that vibe much. (I also don't go to anything that's not required sooooo I may miss a lot of crap like that)

Even then, I do not remember too many mentions of him during OMM lab. I really only recall the cool video of him demonstrating an AC joint articulation technique. Though, I did find it a little creepy walking into heritage hall and his face coming out of the wall (ah! I have to see it again in just over a month!).

my school makes us wear WWATSD.O. bracelets.

Reactions: 3 users
AT Still is the osteopathic version of Chuck Norris.

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently this is true... that's why we all know those dates now... med school...

I really shouldn't find this hilarious... but I do...

Sounds like my school. Quote + a picture of him holding a bone. EVERY TIME, and its a different picture almost everytime. He must have just been carrying around bones with him everywhere he went.
"Are you an archaeologist? Because I have a large bone for you to examine." -A.T. Still

Reactions: 1 user
Even then, I do not remember too many mentions of him during OMM lab. I really only recall the cool video of him demonstrating an AC joint articulation technique. Though, I did find it a little creepy walking into heritage hall and his face coming out of the wall (ah! I have to see it again in just over a month!).

One of our faculty claims that in that video he is actually doing a rib manipulation. Apparently a prominent (modern) DO, Dr. Van Buskirk, analyzed the video and fragments of written descriptions of his work and used it to publish Still technique.

Honestly it was only the first month or two that they were always quoting him as if his writing was scripture. Haven't noticed it since then.