Worth Applying this cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jakem333

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty much a newcomer to the pre-vet world, so I thought i'd ask you all for a bit of advice. I'm currently a junior biology major, so I could technically apply for vet school in the upcoming class of 2014 cycle. As far as pre-reqs, I'm fairly sure that i'm up to speed just by the requirements of my major. I understand that different vet schools have different pre-reqs, but I believe i've completed all the basics: gen chem I/II (+lab), a few general bio courses(+lab), calc I/II, organic chem I/II (lab), physics I (i'll be doing physics II senior year, lab in included). My GPA, both science and overall hovers somewhere between 3.8 and 3.9 at a tier 1 (top 50?) school. I'll be preparing for the GRE and taking that over the summer. So basically, what i'm getting at is that academically, i'm a pretty solid candidate.

Since i'm so new though, I really don't have much animal/vet experience to speak of. I've worked in two labs over the course of 1.5 years, and but just one of those projects can be spun towards vet. medicine. I also did a semester of research at a zoo, studying tamarin vocalization during my sophmore year. However, I have absolutely no experience in a vet clinic. I'm currently studying abroad at U of Edinburgh, and will come back for the summer. Hopefully I can get some sort of position in a vet clinic and gain a couple hundred hours of experience of the summer.

Basically, I could probably apply this cycle were I to wait until the end endof the summer/early fall to apply, but i'm really not sure if its worth it, given my lack of experience- I don't want to lay out all this money for applications, and then find out that it was a total waste. I'm a Maryland resident, so I do have a state school, and I plan to apply to University of Edinburgh and Glasgow (and would gladly attend them). So what do you all think? Should i just wait a year and gain experience during my senior year? Or go for it now?

Sorry about the super long post, hopefully you all stay awake reading it.

thanks mucho

Members don't see this ad.

Given your solid academic credentials I would definitely apply this year if I were you! Your research experience will count for a decent amount at most schools, though I'd recommend getting some veterinary experience as well, which it sounds like you plan on doing.

The only thing I'd worry about in applying to US schools is the required letter of recommendation from a veterinarian - do you have one you've worked with extensively enough to write you one?

I would go for it. I have a lower gpa than you do, no research experience, no animal experience and only 150 hours of veterinary experience, most of it small animal. My GRE scores were above average. Despite the hindrance of my lack of animal and research experience I still got an interview with Kansas State University and I have yet to be cut from the UPenn applicant pool (although it is my in state school. As long as you get some veterinary experience in the summer you should be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm really not qualified to comment on the main point of this, being a freshman pre-vet. (Though do you have microbiology/biochemistry done?)

Also, I know NC State counts research done under the direction of a PhD scientist as veterinary experience, but I don't know if that holds true for other schools- just something to look into.

However, I must comment on the awesomeness of the avatars in this thread so far. We have a two-toed sloth at the museum I volunteer at, and that has caused a very irrational love of all things sloth-y. And fire emblem is my form of stress relief. :)

Biochemistry. Make sure you have it. Some schools are fine with one semester, and some are adamant about two. Good luck!

Thanks everyone for all the responses!

Seems like biochemistry is pretty important, so I guess i'll have to put myself through it. Is there a common source where all the schools' specific pre-reqs are listed? Also, I think i've seen it around these forums somewhere, but is there a listing of IS versus OOS acceptances from each school, so that I can add a few OOS of schools.

I know someone mentioned letters of rec. Yes, i'm a bit worried about that as well, but hopefully I can get a position somewhere this summer and really impress a couple docs.

Are there certain schools that place more emphasis on GPA/GRE/Academics? I assume i'd maximize my chances by looking more heavily into these schools.

Trilt,
I was totally stuck between the sloth, and my pug for an avatar. I almost feel like i've neglected my pug, haha (tough on the conscious, being an animal lover).

No Imagination,
I believe trilt was actually asking me whether i've completed biochem and microbio, which I have not.

While i'm spitting out hundreds of questions...I thought i'd read about some sort of policy in which you can't have more than one (or two?) prereqs remaining to be completed by the end of fall semester, senior year (at least in my case, as a first timer out of undergrad). Is this true for all schools?

thanks again!

This book is the best:
http://www.amazon.com/Veterinary-Me...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1234209062&sr=8-2

It has about 3 pages per school with all the information - pre-reqs, average gpa of admitted students, # OOS vs IS seats, etc. It is such a useful resource. The one I linked is last years, I am sure the new edition will come out soon (although it won't be hot pink :p).

Also the AAVMC website is very helpful with giving summarized info on all the schools:

http://www.aavmc.org/

By looking through the book/AAVMC you will prob get a sense what each school emphasizes on as far as admissions. Also, read through the Succesfull Applicants Class of 201* threads, that is very helpful for seeing how competitive you will be at various schools!

Good luck to you!!

Definitly look at the pre-reqs where you want to study. Some are a bit unique (business courses, animal nutrition, genetics, speech/communication, etc)

If you can cover the pre-reqs, then go for it.

And fire emblem is my form of stress relief. :)

Yeah, so...at my (unsuccessful) interview for UCD last year, they asked me how I de-stress. I said that I play hockey which is probably a pretty normal answer, so whatever, but then they asked about other stuff and I didn't really know what else to say so I said video games. And then I tried to explain Fire Emblem to them. I felt kind of stupid. :laugh:

edit: Playing on the hard modes probably makes me more stressed out though, honestly! I think at least one Wavebird bit the dust during my obsessive (must reset if anybody dies!) hard mode playthrough on the latest Wii version...

How can you have biochem done as a freshman? Isn't Chem 1,2, Ochem 1,2 a pre-req for biochem?

It was a question directed to the OP, not covering my own experience. :) As far as chemistries, I only have gen chem done. Currently in orgo I.

edit: Playing on the hard modes probably makes me more stressed out though, honestly! I think at least one Wavebird bit the dust during my obsessive (must reset if anybody dies!) hard mode playthrough on the latest Wii version...

After a couple deaths during the same battle, I switch to something more brain-numbing. (I have a GB version of pokemon pinball lying around that I can basically play with my eyes closed- it fits the bill rather well.)

I would say go for it this time around...I definitely do not have a stellar GPA(3.4)/GRE scores...but I did have around 600 vet hours plus i've been around horses my entire life. I am a MD resident as well, and I studied abroad in Australia. Take a chance...you may surprise yourself with an acceptance...Glasgow surprised me!! :)

^^Oh that's so awesome, congratulations!

Did you apply this past cycle? Are you headed off to glasgow?

I'm not sure yet...I am still waiting on Dublin and Florida at this point (all the others were a no go) but it seems I will be in Europe come September 2009 :)

I would work on getting vet experience although the research will help you. The application (VMCAS) is due Oct 1/2 ish and getting it in extra early won't help. A week before the deadline or so is good though as the application tends to crash.

yeah, I definitely plan to wait until mid september before submitting, to give myself as much time as possible to gain experience.

Thanks everyone, your responses have been really helpful.

Any more tips on choosing which schools to apply to?

If you are looking to at least apply to American Vet Schools, I would look at their websites and call the school to see what each school is looking for in a potential applicant. I got into Missouri with a 3.85 GPA and only a 1050 GRE score. I have about 750 hours of vet experience (small animal, exotics, and equine), 40,000 hours of animal related experience (I do animal rescue with my family) and I had no research experience!! Even with no research studies and low GRE score, I managed to get into Missouri because I am guessing GRE scores don't mean anything to them as much as GPA. I also wrote in my personal statement and spoke at my interview about having Asperger's Syndrome as something that sets me apart from others by overcoming a disability despite people saying I cannot succeed. If you have something interesting about yourself that would catch the committee's attention, then do it, whatever makes you a more viable candidate.

As far as schools that take a lot of OOS resident, there's Kansas, Iowa, Ohio, and of course Western since they don't differentiate IS/OOS. I should be quiet though, since I'm not sure I'd like having you as competition. :D

Haha thanks twelvetigers, although I really don't know about all that not wanting me as competition.

So do most schools have any specifications as to how many pre-reqs you can have remaining to be completed at the time of application? Unless I do some sort of summer course, I'll have to do both microbiology and physics II spring of my senior year...

If you only have two to three pre-reqs by your senior year, then you will be fine. Just show the vet schools a really nice fall transcript to show that you really want to be in vet school and stay competitive. I can say this confidently that you are already in excellent shape in terms of credentials to apply for vet school. You just need to get some vet experience, roughly 1250-1350 GRE score, and good LOR from faculty and vets. I can tell you that each vet school has its own perception of what the best vet school candidate should be and what parts to of the students application appeals to them. I got accepted to Missouri and from my assumption, they are not as strict as other vet schools require. I looked at a data book my professor (retired vet) had about what each school wants. Here is an example to the best of my knowledge:

Mizzou Breakdown: 45% GPA (overall), 15% Science/pre-reqs, 15% diversity in vet experience/research/animal related, 15% communication (interpersonal skills based on interview), 5% additional activities (clubs), and 5% GRE scores

The interview at Mizzou was really laid back and highly stress-free. The committee asks questions to know you more as a person than knowing your knowledge in veterinary medicine (I mean honestly, we are not vets.....yet).

I hope this helps somewhat in your journey to becoming a vet. The bright side to is that Edinburgh has a great vet school and from my knowledge, do not interview students but accept them based on merit of their transcript.

Yeah, so...at my (unsuccessful) interview for UCD last year, they asked me how I de-stress. I said that I play hockey which is probably a pretty normal answer, so whatever, but then they asked about other stuff and I didn't really know what else to say so I said video games. And then I tried to explain Fire Emblem to them. I felt kind of stupid. :laugh:

Hey, you showed honesty...I don't think that's anything to feel stupid about. XD Maybe if I am asked that question, I'll show them how much of a dork I am and tell them how I practice getting faster at solving the rubiks cube or how I play In the Groove (a harder, better version of Dance Dance Revolution) like it's a sport. Seriously, I attend tournaments, track my scores, and have special shoes that I only use when I play ITG. I know what they'd be thinking: LOSER! :laugh:

Oh gosh, that was my pet peeve...I hated it when my good guys died...aka Gilliam or Garcia, so I'd restart the battle every single time a strong character died. (but not Seth, he never died...oh how I love him).

Er, I don't mean to hijack the thread. >.> Hah, we can continue the convo via PM if you like. :D

I haven't read what everyone has said, so I'm sorry if I am repeating anything.. For U.S. vet schools, you definetely need a lot of experience but if you would be happy with glasgow and edinburg you don't have to worry too much because they are fine with less experience.. I personally got an interview from glasgow even though I don't have as much experience as other ppl here.. So I'd say go for it because you have pretty good grades and they will help you out.. An other advice I have is to try to find a vet clinic in Edinburg this semester to work at.. that can help you with your hours..