worth applying to MD/PhD with low MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CursoErgoSum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got back my MCAT and got a 29S (11 PS/6 VR/ 12 BS), so the verbal is killer for MD/PhDs, but I want to see what you guys think if its even worth applying to lower tier MD/PhDs non-mstp with such a low verbal. I have great EC (intercollegiate athlete, voluteering, etc.) with 3+ years of research with 3 publications, 4.0 GPA in biomedical engineering in a good state school, with the 6 VR being the blemish on my app. English is my third language but I doubt that would pass as an excuse. But, you guys think I have a chance for MD/PhD? thanks in advance :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

you should re-take the MCAT. the verbal is a killer for MSTP, MD/PhD, MD, and even some DO schools have a 7 sectional cut off (word of mouf)

Hi all, I just got back my MCAT and got a 29S (11 PS/6 VR/ 12 BS), so the verbal is killer for MD/PhDs, but I want to see what you guys think if its even worth applying to lower tier MD/PhDs non-mstp with such a low verbal. I have great EC (intercollegiate athlete, voluteering, etc.) with 3+ years of research with 3 publications, 4.0 GPA in biomedical engineering in a good state school, with the 6 VR being the blemish on my app. English is my third language but I doubt that would pass as an excuse. But, you guys think I have a chance for MD/PhD? thanks in advance :oops:

My impression is that if English is not your first language, this is at least taken into consideration. I am not sure how much it is taken into consideration, but it is something I have heard discussed at our MSTP admin meetings, anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Highly doubtful a 6 gets interviewed/accepted at my program, and we've been known to make some exceptions. If you are that bad at English, it will show during an interview, and that is a non-starter. I'd say 8 minimum is what you need (12+12+8).

Re-take it, then re-apply.

Last edited:
I applied md/phd last year with a 7 in verbal and 30 composite and only got one interview and no acceptance. In hindsight, Im glad I didnt matriculate anywhere last year because one number was undercutting my application and disqualifying me from schools I was otherwise good enough to get into. Also, dont look at the stats or listen to doubters about improving mcat verbal - if you study it WILL improve!

Thanks for the reply and feedback everyone... I contacted some MD/PhD directors and most said the 6 in verbal will be significantly detrimental to my admission chances. However, one program said that they have accepted students with low scores like mine and the MCAT "doesn't really matter". Is this true in some schools or are they "just saying that" so you apply and pay the fees? What do you guys think?

Just because someone made it doesn't mean you will make it. Those students may have something else on the table, like a Nature paper, that could make up for their MCAT scores at some institutions. Hanging your entire application cycle on one program director's casual assertion is way too risky. Wait a year, retake the MCAT, make sure you are competitive at most places, then apply.