Worth it to try for MD w/ low c, sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eunoia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've calculated that my best case scenario (after post-bacc classes and some retakes) with the DO AACOMAS calculations are cGPA ~3.5, sGPA ~3.3. Due to the differences between the calculations, my best case AMCAS GPA would be cGPA ~3.38, sGPA ~3.29.

However, the courses I would retake during postbacc would be different depending on which route I would take--ie, trying to retake a non-science F for DO school for grade replacement vs. retaking upper div science classes for MD.

I realize it is a difficult question to answer due to lack of MCAT score, but is it even worth applying to MD schools with that best-case scenario GPA? I am totally happy with going the DO route either way, but if I will be looking at primarily DO schools, should I try to raise my AACOMAS GPA as high as I can instead of my AMCAS GPA?

Thank you!

Edit: Plan on taking MCAT courses and prep during 2 postbacc classes this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

Easiest path is doing re-takes via AACOMAS. For MD schools, only a pull Post-bac or SMP will convince AdComs you can handle medical school. Just retaking here and there the poor grades won't suffice for the latter.

Hi everyone,

I've calculated that my best case scenario (after post-bacc classes and some retakes) with the DO AACOMAS calculations are cGPA ~3.5, sGPA ~3.3. Due to the differences between the calculations, my best case AMCAS GPA would be cGPA ~3.38, sGPA ~3.29.

However, the courses I would retake during postbacc would be different depending on which route I would take--ie, trying to retake a non-science F for DO school for grade replacement vs. retaking upper div science classes for MD.

I realize it is a difficult question to answer due to lack of MCAT score, but is it even worth applying to MD schools with that best-case scenario GPA? I am totally happy with going the DO route either way, but if I will be looking at primarily DO schools, should I try to raise my AACOMAS GPA as high as I can instead of my AMCAS GPA?

Thank you!

Edit: Plan on taking MCAT courses and prep during 2 postbacc classes this fall.

Thank you for the response. That's what I had been thinking, but wanted some confirmation.

That said, if I retake the non-science F course for my AACOMAS GPA, I will have to pay an exorbitant amount out of pocket, as it will need to be done at my private university. On the other hand, if I instead retake a science course that I had previously received a C in at a community college equivalent, the price would be much more manageable. The difference in AACOMAS GPA would be:

Retake non-science F (actually a WF): cGPA ~3.5, sGPA ~3.3 as stated above.
Retake upper-div science C: cGPA 3.4, sGPA 3.4

In light of this, would it be better for me to do the latter, save the thousands of dollars, but keep a WF on my transcript?

Thanks again.

Last edited: