Worth taking CBSE as a practice run?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carabelliscusp

Reaction score
Studying now to take CBSE in July of 2023. Originally was planning on learning content from August-January then review + Qs January-July. Is it worth taking the February 2023 CBSE purely as a practice run? I don't even anticipate doing that well on it considering where I'll be at at that time. My last opportunity to take is in July so no retakes after that really

Members don't see this ad.

I would say no. The NBME provides the Mock CBSEs (CBSSA) for like 60$ per test that you can take timed. I felt like these did enough to simulate the real test; plus you can review your answers with explanations like on Uworld which is going to be way more beneficial than taking the CBSE knowing you won’t do well

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would say no. The NBME provides the Mock CBSEs (CBSSA) for like 60$ per test that you can take timed. I felt like these did enough to simulate the real test; plus you can review your answers with explanations like on Uworld which is going to be way more beneficial than taking the CBSE knowing you won’t do well
do those convert well to what your real score is? I see varying consensus on the matter

Tbh I would (and did this). Is it a waste of money? Possibly. But it lit a fire under my a$$ when I realized how much there was to learn. It encouraged me to work even harder.

Reactions: 1 user
If money, time, and 1 attempt is not an issue, there is no better practice than the real deal

I took a dry run of the CBSE and I don’t regret it at all. It simulated the real test and scared me into taking studying more seriously. If you have the money, I think it’s worth it. The more CBSE questions you see, the better

I did this and thought it was worth it. Studied for about 3 weeks prior to the "practice run" though. That way I could see what questions were asked based on the content and adjust my studying for the real deal.

Just be mindful of the limited number of attempts you have now. As someone who needed several attempts to actually produce a reasonable score, I would hate for you to miss out on getting into residency because you "wasted" an attempt on a practice run. Food for thought...

Waste of money. Take an nbme instead. Same thing for a fraction of the cost

Worth it if you have the money. It will show you what the test is actually like and the stamina you need, and it will also destroy your confidence. Both will motivate you to study harder haha

please dont do the practice run with actual $$$, totally regret doing that

Related: Whens the best time to take NBMEs\UWSA?
I personally only took two for cbse and two for step. One a month out and one two weeks out is how I personally did it. Never did UWSA. Some people do one a week though and do like 6. I personally feel like it’s a waste of time but others swear by doing them all