Would a gap semester/ leave of absence be a red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmssjj

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in my second semester of my junior year. So far I have kept my gpa 3:96. However, recently my mother suffered from stroke and she lost some mobility. I will be taking care of my mother and my younger brother because we have no family in this country. In this circumstance, I am considering a leave of absence for this semester so that my mother gets some mobility back over time and lessen some of my duties. Basically, I will have to take my mother to doctors and therapy, take care of household chores, and take 17 credits of difficult prereqs (biochem, physics 2). I would have to commute three hours daily to get to school as well. I believe this would hurt my gpa greatly and also hurt my mother’s progress. That’s why I am considering a leave of absence so that by the time of fall semester, I can figure something out with my mother if she doesn’t gain her mobility back.
However, I am worried this leave of absence would look negative on my application and I might lose the continuity and habit of studying due to a gap semester.
Please advise. I am a first gen without any support or advice. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I am in my second semester of my junior year. So far I have kept my gpa 3:96. However, recently my mother suffered from stroke and she lost some mobility. I will be taking care of my mother and my younger brother because we have no family in this country. In this circumstance, I am considering a leave of absence for this semester so that my mother gets some mobility back over time and lessen some of my duties. Basically, I will have to take my mother to doctors and therapy, take care of household chores, and take 17 credits of difficult prereqs (biochem, physics 2). I would have to commute three hours daily to get to school as well. I believe this would hurt my gpa greatly and also hurt my mother’s progress. That’s why I am considering a leave of absence so that by the time of fall semester, I can figure something out with my mother if she doesn’t gain her mobility back.
However, I am worried this leave of absence would look negative on my application and I might lose the continuity and habit of studying due to a gap semester.
Please advise. I am a first gen without any support or advice. I would appreciate any insight. Thanks
Taking a leave of absence is smart in your circumstances. Schools will admire what you're doing if it comes up.

Wishing your mother a complete and speedy recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Taking a leave of absence to care for an ailing family member would be considered a sign of maturity, not a red flag.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users