Would a President Trump expand Medicaid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/20/obam...-to-health-insurance-boom-in-some-states.html

The ACA/Obamacare led to a reduction in the non-insured through a big expansion of Medicaid. Would a President Trump replace the ACA with a large expansion of Medicaid? One suggestion is to open the private insurance market across State lines and do away with the "one size fits all" approach of the ACA. But, Medicaid would still need to be expanded to cover the low income Citizens of the USA.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who knows what he would do?!
Or rather what he would want to do. Because with this congress, he's unlikely to accomplish anything either...

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think so. I think Obamacare will gradually fold on itself though and we will be back to square one. I think increasing competition will be of minimal help too. Healthcare insurance companies already have razor thin margins.

he has stated his intention to do so. I would assume that he would try.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/20/obam...-to-health-insurance-boom-in-some-states.html

The ACA/Obamacare led to a reduction in the non-insured through a big expansion of Medicaid. Would a President Trump replace the ACA with a large expansion of Medicaid? One suggestion is to open the private insurance market across State lines and do away with the "one size fits all" approach of the ACA. But, Medicaid would still need to be expanded to cover the low income Citizens of the USA.
One thing I don't understand is that how "opening the private insurance market across state lines" is going to help poor people who can't afford insurance of any kind to get insurance???
I mean if you are so poor you are on medicaid you basically need free insurance, are the private carriers going to offer free insurance???

I don't think so. I think Obamacare will gradually fold on itself though and we will be back to square one. I think increasing competition will be of minimal help too. Healthcare insurance companies already have razor thin margins.

I have heard the statement "insurance companies operate on thin margins" over and over. I find this hard to believe when so much of their overhead goes advertising, admin, and dividends to investors. Also the misquoted profit margin across the industry of 4% isn't reflective of true profit. The ROE is actually between 16-18%, pretty good. Company BODs would certainly not be giving their senior execs 50-100 millions a year for a 4% profit.

Reactions: 1 users
I have heard the statement "insurance companies operate on thin margins" over and over. I find this hard to believe when so much of their overhead goes advertising, admin, and dividends to investors. Also the misquoted profit margin across the industry of 4% isn't reflective of true profit. The ROE is actually between 16-18%, pretty good. Company BODs would certainly not be giving their senior execs 50-100 millions a year for a 4% profit.

It is public record for publicly traded companies.

Indeed. Der Trumppenfuhrer has had many policies. Rather, he has policy moods, not actual policies.

Wow, you're as racist against Germans as the DNC is racist against Jews.

It is public record for publicly traded companies.
So??? Ever heard of Enron? MCI?

Companies can cook the books. Adjust profits and losses.

U know. Some of us "self employed" make "$130k" as anesthesiologist and CRNA self employed make "$40k" as "Nurses" cough cough.