Would an admissions committee accept a pharmacy student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AcclratngCharge

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically the title says it all. I am half-way through a pharmacy program with perfect grades, although I now know(after being here) that medicine is what I want to learn and practice. I had a rough background, and was desperate to leave it when I went to pharmacy school, I didn't really contemplate my profession as much as I considered it as a better alternative to what I had. I have spent much time learning about medicine in person, online and through exposure in pharmacy practice. I am basically done with the AMCAS this year, I take the MCAT at the end of July. I think my application is good, community service, clinical work (paid & volunteer), perfect grades (4.0 undergrad and pharmacy school). I just wonder if the medical school will even consider accepting me, knowing that I would be leaving a different program.

Any thoughts or anecdotes of similar situations and students??? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

you'll definitely have a better chance if you finish the pharmacy program, but unfortunately i can't give you awesome advice. it depends on the rest of your application and if you can sell the fact that you changed your mind.

you'll definitely have a better chance if you finish the pharmacy program, but unfortunately i can't give you awesome advice. it depends on the rest of your application and if you can sell the fact that you changed your mind.

The rest of my application is fairly competitive(my subjective opinion). I have a 4.0 in undergrad and grad. I have shadowed a family doctor and neurologist quite extensively. I have much community service (maybe 2h/week average, although I usually do events that last a few hours about once a month). I do not have any research experience. I have yet to take the MCAT, but I have been on 32-35 range on the practice AAMCs with verbal being my lowest (8-10). I have work experience as a pharmacy technician in the hospital and a clinical rotation as an intern. I think they are going to tell me to re-apply when I have my PharmD....

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically the title says it all. I am half-way through a pharmacy program with perfect grades, although I now know(after being here) that medicine is what I want to learn and practice. I had a rough background, and was desperate to leave it when I went to pharmacy school, I didn't really contemplate my profession as much as I considered it as a better alternative to what I had. I have spent much time learning about medicine in person, online and through exposure in pharmacy practice. I am basically done with the AMCAS this year, I take the MCAT at the end of July. I think my application is good, community service, clinical work (paid & volunteer), perfect grades (4.0 undergrad and pharmacy school). I just wonder if the medical school will even consider accepting me, knowing that I would be leaving a different program.

Most med schools that I know of require that you finish the degree-granting program you're in before matriculating. So if you were a current student when you submitted your primary AMCAS app, they won't accept/let you matriculate until you finish your pharm program. Generally, med schools aren't a fan of poaching students who are actively in other degree-granting programs.

Anyways, that's my understanding. I'd look at the schools you're applying to now and see what their requirements are with regards to being currently enrolled in a degree-granting program, before you waste a lot of money on secondary apps.

I would apply when you are just about to finish your PharmD. If I may ask the question: What year are you right now?

I would apply when you are just about to finish your PharmD. If I may ask the question: What year are you right now?

By waiting until I graduate, I would have to wait 1-3+ years to later to matriculate into medicine school. The problem is with the limit on federal loans, I cannot afford [in loans, and I have no other funds, I guess I could venture into private or save money as a pharmacist] to finance both the MD and PharmD programs, but if I go now I would be able to. I know this is a superficial reason and 99% of us struggle with financing, but I know I'm going to be a MD one year (hopefully), and I hope if they reject me it is not just so I finish my PharmD.

By waiting until I graduate, I would have to wait 1-3+ years to later to matriculate into medicine school. The problem is with the limit on federal loans, I cannot afford [in loans, and I have no other funds, I guess I could venture into private or save money as a pharmacist] to finance both the MD and PharmD programs, but if I go now I would be able to. I know this is a superficial reason and 99% of us struggle with financing, but I know I'm going to be a MD one year (hopefully), and I hope if they reject me it is not just so I finish my PharmD.

I'm sure u'll have a tough time matriculating without completing your PharmD, ur stellar stats notwithstanding. This is a requirement on virtually all acceptances letter (to complete ur current program of study).

I won't worry about finances too much at this point especially given what u've described as ur stats, u could land a scholarship and finaid will work out ur financing, so don't worry about that right now.

My advice would be to complete ur degree program.

Best of luck!

I'm sure u'll have a tough time matriculating without completing your PharmD, ur stellar stats notwithstanding. This is a requirement on virtually all acceptances letter (to complete ur current program of study).

I won't worry about finances too much at this point especially given what u've described as ur stats, u could land a scholarship and finaid will work out ur financing, so don't worry about that right now.

My advice would be to complete ur degree program.

Best of luck!

Thank you for the advice and insight. I had not considered the letters of acceptance and language of "finishing your program...". I would have to wait in that case, but at least I will have the MCAT over with :)

I did find two schools that explicitly said(on admissions website) "will not accept a student in a graduate program until they complete..." but those were rare, most didn't specify or address it.

Thank you for the advice and insight. I had not considered the letters of acceptance and language of "finishing your program...". I would have to wait in that case, but at least I will have the MCAT over with :)

I did find two schools that explicitly said(on admissions website) "will not accept a student in a graduate program until they complete..." but those were rare, most didn't specify or address it.

My question for you should be whether or not you have completed a BS or BA if you don't intend on completing your PharmD.

My question for you should be whether or not you have completed a BS or BA if you don't intend on completing your PharmD.

Yes that is another weakness. I do not have a bachelor's. I didn't need it for pharmacy school and looking back I should have finished it. I'm within 30 hours and have an AS, but it's all or none with the adcoms. My chances this year are very slim, would be better after the PharmD, and maybe get into better schools. Also, I will be a late applicant (MCAT not in until end of August). But... if I apply and interview I could learn more about the process and be better prepared next time. And get feedback from adcoms about the rest of my application.

Here's another question: Would it look bad to my letter writers if I ended up not applying because I re-assessed my situation and think I should wait until after pharmacy school? Or would it look better to finish my commitment?

Thanks for all of the advice so far...it has helped.

Yes that is another weakness. I do not have a bachelor's. I didn't need it for pharmacy school and looking back I should have finished it. I'm within 30 hours and have an AS, but it's all or none with the adcoms. My chances this year are very slim, would be better after the PharmD, and maybe get into better schools. Also, I will be a late applicant (MCAT not in until end of August). But... if I apply and interview I could learn more about the process and be better prepared next time. And get feedback from adcoms about the rest of my application.

Here's another question: Would it look bad to my letter writers if I ended up not applying because I re-assessed my situation and think I should wait until after pharmacy school? Or would it look better to finish my commitment?

Thanks for all of the advice so far...it has helped.

I honestly would wait until after pharmacy school or at least until your almost done (1-year before with pharmacy school) to apply to medical school. Spend this time evaluating and improving upon your weaknesses. The chances of getting accepted without a degree is slim (not impossible). Why spend good money only to get a certain rejection?

We have a PharmD in our class, and they were told specifically not to apply until they were finishing up. I would caution against applying prior to its completion.

The upside? They have been able to work during breaks, decreasing the amount needed to borrow (basically they pay off at the end of each academic time period what they didn't need). There are also scholarship opportunities, and you hinted at a disadvantaged background, which will also help with both the admissions process and scholarship opportunities.

As far as letters of rec, I actually had letter writers re-write/re-date letters when I waited an additional cycle. I would think they would be fine with it, especially when you tell them you really want to finish your PharmD before matriculating.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a PharmD in our class, and they were told specifically not to apply until they were finishing up. I would caution against applying prior to its completion.

The upside? They have been able to work during breaks, decreasing the amount needed to borrow (basically they pay off at the end of each academic time period what they didn't need). There are also scholarship opportunities, and you hinted at a disadvantaged background, which will also help with both the admissions process and scholarship opportunities.

As far as letters of rec, I actually had letter writers re-write/re-date letters when I waited an additional cycle. I would think they would be fine with it, especially when you tell them you really want to finish your PharmD before matriculating.

Good luck!

Thanks. The more I learn I am leaning towards waiting. It will be more professional and it would be nice to earn the degree I've been working hard at. I might even try to get some research experience in the next 2 years to learn more about it, and add to my overall acceptability.

I'm glad to hear about your class mate, I have heard more about PharmD's entering medical school so I assume adcom's aren't too surprised when it happens. That would be convenient to make 50$ an hour during breaks.

why not graduate, work as pharmacist for a year making 100k, live frugally so you can save like 80k, and towards end of year start med school with 80k in the bank.

why not graduate, work as pharmacist for a year making 100k, live frugally so you can save like 80k, and towards end of year start med school with 80k in the bank.

Second that. I've been a pharmacist for 3 years and am getting close to having money both for tuition and quite a bit of living expenses for the next 4 years. Maybe would have had more had I known that I might want to change careers. Hindsight is 20/20. Assuming I continue on this path, by the time I matriculate I should be pretty good to go. That way I can just be broke by the time I get done with school...again. I suppose not that different from someone in business...going broke many times before doing well.

I have been studying for the MCAT, actually rescheduled for August. I don't think I have a very good shot at US MD Schools (I'm late, trying to switch from pharmacy, and will likely have low 3X MCAT based on low-mid 30's on AAMC FL's).

But...I have requested brochures from SABA, AUC, and Ross in the Caribbean. They look very nice and I think they may offer a high quality education. If I went to school there, would a high USMLE Step 1 negate the fact I went to a Caribbean school? If I am not accepted to an American school, which I would find out by Christmas, I could apply to schools down there in January, and begin next fall. Or is it worth it to wait for a potential shot in a US school? I don't want to be gullible and fooled by their brochures.

Based on my adcom experience, I very much doubt that not completing your PharmD is an issue if you can make the case that you have no plans to use that degree. It is obviously a waste of time and money to do so.

The lack of a Bachelor's is a larger issue. A few schools may overlook it given how much education you have had, but I would not count on it. You should be able to transfer your credits to another institution and finish a BA very quickly, and you could do this while applying to medical schools.

Don't go Caribbean until you have applied and been rejected from a very large number of US MD and DO schools.

My story is almost identical to the OP. I have just completed my first year in pharmacy school. Excellent undergrad/pharmacy grades (not 4.0 but close). Taking the MCAT next week, expecting (hoping?) low-mid 30s. I do, however have a BS in Biology. Also, I have lots of community/volunteer work, as well as research experience.

Completing my pharmD and then going to med school is not really a realistic option for me, due to family obligations. I have great LORs, and a pretty unique and interesting background story in my personal essay. The question is: am I wasting my time applying?

I have been studying for the MCAT, actually rescheduled for August. I don't think I have a very good shot at US MD Schools (I'm late, trying to switch from pharmacy, and will likely have low 3X MCAT based on low-mid 30's on AAMC FL's).

But...I have requested brochures from SABA, AUC, and Ross in the Caribbean. They look very nice and I think they may offer a high quality education. If I went to school there, would a high USMLE Step 1 negate the fact I went to a Caribbean school? If I am not accepted to an American school, which I would find out by Christmas, I could apply to schools down there in January, and begin next fall. Or is it worth it to wait for a potential shot in a US school? I don't want to be gullible and fooled by their brochures.
If I were you, I would contemplate the DO route. I think DO schools are much more forgiven when it comes to situation like yours. I think caribbean (the BIG 4...St Georges, AUC, SABA, ROSS) would be an OK option if you want become a primary care physician.

If I were you, I would contemplate the DO route. I think DO schools are much more forgiven when it comes to situation like yours. I think caribbean (the BIG 4...St Georges, AUC, SABA, ROSS) would be an OK option if you want become a primary care physician.

I have thought about DO, but I don't think I want to be an osteopathic doctor at this point. I have shadowed one, and he seemed like allopathic doctors I shadowed (he didn't do manipulations that day). If I am unable to earn a high MCAT I will consider it and try to shadow more DO's. I do want to be(*now*) a PCP or general internist, so that is good to hear about the Carib schools. Of course DO's are also more likely to be in primary care too. I'm lost :confused:

My story is almost identical to the OP. I have just completed my first year in pharmacy school. Excellent undergrad/pharmacy grades (not 4.0 but close). Taking the MCAT next week, expecting (hoping?) low-mid 30s. I do, however have a BS in Biology. Also, I have lots of community/volunteer work, as well as research experience.

Completing my pharmD and then going to med school is not really a realistic option for me, due to family obligations. I have great LORs, and a pretty unique and interesting background story in my personal essay. The question is: am I wasting my time applying?
You situation is better than the OP because you have a BS degree and you have completed only one year of PharmD school. I think you can apply to MD school as long as you have a 3.5c/sGPA and score 30+ MCAT. Try to explain why you are changing career. DON'T LIE YOUR WAY OUT OF IT. BE HONEST !!! Also, apply to DO schools as well providing that you dont have a problem with the DO degree and their philosophy.

My advice (I.have been through this situation):

First, finish your Pharm.D. You will lose out on many schools if you don't. I understand family obligations (trust me lol), but in my experience, med schools could give a **** what your personal situation is. Second, apply to.DO schools...they are more open to nontrads and career changers. I was naive like many out there and used to think MD was the end all be all, but not true. If you want to be a physician, apply MD and DO. I have worked 3 yrs in practice and no one really cares in real life what your degree says. Third, make sure this is really what you want. I can emphasize with the guy with family obligations. I have a wife and daughter and going from owening a nice home, cars, and an overall stable family life, etc...to almost NOTHING is not easy (it's kind of like Rocky 5 lol). Good for you for saving! That is going to help tremendously. Finally, explore every avenue in pharmacy before making the switch. GL

Last edited:
My advice (I.have been through this situation):

First, finish your Pharm.D. You will lose out on many schools if you don't. I understand family obligations (trust me lol), but in my experience, med schools could give a **** what your personal situation is. Second, apply to.DO schools...they are more open to nontrads and career changers. I was naive like many out there and used to think MD was the end all be all, but not true. If you want to be a physician, apply MD and DO. I have worked 3 yrs in practice and no one really cares in real life what your degree says. Third, make sure this is really what you want. I can emphasize with the guy with family obligations. I have a wife and daughter and going from owening a nice home, cars, and an overall stable family life, etc...to almost NOTHING is not easy (it's kind of like Rocky 5 lol). Good for you for saving! That is going to help tremendously. Finally, explore every avenue in pharmacy before making the switch. GL

Thanks for your advice VCU07. Did you apply to MD and DO schools, and did you apply during your fourth year of pharmacy school?

Thanks for your advice VCU07. Did you apply to MD and DO schools, and did you apply during your fourth year of pharmacy school?

No problem. I did apply to both, although I only applied to 4 Schools total, which was mainly due to my personal situation. Wish I could have applied to more, but it just wasn't possible. Anyway, I was faced witha delimma of either retaking my MCAT and reapplying next year or go to PCOM. Obviously, I chose PCOM bc I didnt really care what initials I earned...I wanted to be a physician and a physician I will be. I applied after 3 yrs or so in practice.

Hey everyone, well the pharmacy student got his mcat score today. 11/11/12 P.

So with a 34P, if I wait until I have earned my PharmD, 4.0 undergrad & pharmacy school, no bachelors, would I have a good chance at state schools or even top schools? Washington, Vandy, Cornell...etc????

So with a 34P, if I wait until I have earned my PharmD, 4.0 undergrad & pharmacy school, no bachelors, would I have a good chance at state schools or even top schools? Washington, Vandy, Cornell...etc????

I would call the individual schools, but couldn't you try and get a bachelor's degree in the next two years somehow??

Last edited:
I know someone from my class who was in your exact position.

Talk to your school's admin. Tell them that pharmacy wasn't for you. Yes, normally you must finish your degree to matriculate, but an option for many med schools is to acquire a letter from your dean basically saying, "it's ok, we release this person person and wish them well, no offense taken." I don't see the point in staying in for several more years if you hate what you do. It certainly won't hurt to see what your school's willing to do.

You should also talk to prospective schools and get their view on your unique situation. Plenty of medical schools (MD/DO) that I applied to didn't technically require a bachelor's, although I'm not sure if they had ever accepted someone without one. Maybe they would make an exception for your case as you are clearly capable of post graduate coursework. Again, what harm could be done by merely asking? Your stats are incredible

Good luck to you, and well done on acing the MCAT :)

Most all of the top schools will require proof of a bachelors before matriculation.

My state school does not require a bachelors and several matriculate each year without one. They do not mention this fact anywhere and I would NOT call the admissions office to ask (why advertise an adverse fact that they will never ask you about). Most students who are interviewing do not yet have their bachelors, so the school doesn't ask "have you graduated". After they accept you, most of them will not ask for verification of graduation - since it is not one of their formal requirements.

The easiest way to find out is simply look on their website under prerequisites. It will say something about "successful completion of 80 hours of undergrad work with a GPA of 3.0" or something to that effect.

So look under the requirements for each school that you wish to apply, Apply only to those schools that do not require graduation, and never mention it to anyone or ask anyone again. It's your own little dirty secret.