Would Applying Be a Waste of Time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halfmiler46

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at the moment I'm wondering whether I should submit my CASPA or if submitting would just be a waste of time given my circumstances.
I'm a Bio major with a 3.71 GPA and a science GPA around the high 3.8/low 3.9 region. My GRE scores are just shy of 310. During the school year I'm a triple sport athlete who also works as a science tutor, leaving my opportunities to gain HCE only to the summer months. Thankfully, over the summers I've gained about 800+ hours working as a Direct Support Professional. Basically I take care of a group of intellectually and developmentally disabled adults in a day program. I'd really love to work in an underserved rural setting someday, especially after working at this day program. Problem is, I don't know if I've done quite enough to be considered in any program.
I've applied to schools that really don't require a lot of HCE and specialize in rural medicine. This summer I'm also shadowing and volunteering at my local hospital ER, so I'm still accumulating hours and plan on working toward a CNA certification if I don't get accepted anywhere at all. So should I still take the chance? Anyone else been in a similar situation? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your stats look competitive for even med school (minus GRE score), so if the PA route is what you choose I say go ahead. The GRE seems good from what I can tell, I believe the new system goes up to 340 max score.

If you aren't coming completely inept when it comes to an interview, you're golden.

It doesn't hurt to call the admissions offices of any schools you're interested in. Some are more flexible than others in what they'll accept for hce.