Would appreciate any insight on my situation.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Db119225

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior about to finish up a bachelors of Health Sciences. I went into this degree planning to apply to PT school come spring. However, working as a tech has given me a firsthand look at the field and I decided it wasn't for me. Then I found dentistry and it seems to be where I should've been all along. The big problem is I'm going to be a year behind on the application process and will have to sit out a year if I decide to go through with it. My question is this: am I competitive enough that if I were to apply to the right schools I would find an acceptance letter somewhere? I will graduate with roughly a 3.63 GPA, nearly a 3.2 sGPA, and have yet to take my DAT but I feel I will score fairly well on it- 19ish. The thought of putting a whole year off floating around till the next applicant pool and not getting in terrifies me. I know there is no certainty, but do I stand a good chance of gaining acceptance somewhere, and what schools might give me the best chance?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Use the time to network. Visit a couple of dental schools and see if a faculty member could mentor you. Remember sometimes its all about who you know not what you know. Matter of fact try to get involved with research at the dental school. If you are already interested in a particular specialty it wouldn't hurt to get involved with their research...get an early start. Also see if they have any volunteer opportunities at the dental or maybe create your own externship if they don't already have one.

Your situation isn't unique or crazy. Lots of people have a year off before starting D school. If you need to pad your grades with a masters or post bacc, do it. Maybe find a lab associated with a dental school and start working there. Maybe find a job assisting... preferably with someone who is involved with a school. Just do what you can to show AdComs that your heada and heart is in it.