Would becoming a PA or NP be a better option for me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PenguinsInGuam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently a second semester sophomore guy at a CC in Illinois. As of now, I plan on transferring to a university next semester and major in Kinesiology. I then plan on continuing to a physician assistant program.

But I'm wondering if it would be better to go to be an NP instead.

I had a little hiccup in my grades last semester. I had three different medical problems pop up along with an emotional issue. I didn't fail anything but I did manage to get a C in gen chem (and French, but who cares. I don't even know how actually). I managed to grab a B in my human anatomy and physiology course. Not the best, but considering the class has a 50% fail rate, I'm okay. (I have a 3.4 cumulative gpa currently; 3 semesters)

I'm just questioning my chances now. I have an A in the rest of my prereqs for my preferred PA program. As of now, I have no medical experience beyond volunteering as an ER host at a local level 1 trauma center. I sort of plan on getting my EMT-B this summer and obtaining some kind of job with that.

I wondering if I should just get my BSN instead. There's a few universities around that offer it and that way I could live with my parents and save money (kinda relying on loans for the most part). Though this is also a con seeing as how, well blah. Then after a bit of experience I could apply to the more available NP programs. I've heard it's a bit easier to to get in since you've already had the experience of nursing and the fact there are more programs.

The only thing is, I might be a semester behind if I do a nursing major. But this is nothing compared to if I don't get into a PA program since I'll just do an accelerated BSN (which is like 15 or 18 months around here).

The whole autonomy thing doesn't matter since I'm mostly interested in ER medicine. I do like the idea that PAs are more fluid and can move though specialties a little easier in case I want to slow down as I get older.

Also, I was wondering how beneficial it would be to get my associates, then either go to school full time (for financial aid) and do nursing part time for my BSN, or vice-versa. Same with a NP program if possible.

Any opinions? Thanks if you actually read all of that.
eek.gif

Members don't see this ad.