Medical Would I be considered a reapplicant if I was in a pipeline program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. So I went to an undergrad institution with a preferred admission pipeline program partnered with their D.O. medical school. I was a member of the pipeline program and even though I was already intending to do a 2 year service program before applying to medical school, my pipeline program instructed me to still apply to this D.O. school through my preferred admission program and then ask for a deferral in the program. This was last cycle and the only school I applied to because I could not wait a year to apply if I wanted to use my preferred admission. I was accepted to the program and deferred so I could finish out my two year gap year program and I wanted to also apply to M.D. schools this cycle. I am now applying this cycle to 27 M.D. schools and some schools are asking me if I have applied to medical school in the past and how I have changed my app. I do not know how to answer this question: Am I technically a re-applicant? I was accepted to the D.O. school I applied to last cycle but this cycle am applying to M.D. schools.

the only reason I applied to that school last cycle was because I had to through the program I was part of. I deferred the admission so that I can make my decision on where to attend (if granted admission offers via 27 M.D. schools I am applying to this cycle vs. the D.O. school I was accepted to last cycle). it has always been my original intent to go to medical school after my two year service program. I am wondering if I am considered a reapplicant because I was accepted to that school last cycle.

if I am considered a reapplicant, when schools ask what I have done since I last applied; can I just explain the situation to them saying I applied to a D.O. school last cycle because it was through a preferred admission program and that I deferred my acceptance so that I could apply to M.D. schools this cycle and finish out my two year service program?

also I am wondering if I really screwed up... I have only submitted one secondary so far, no others. on that M.D. secondary they asked me if I have ever applied to medical school so far and I selected no because I thought it was just talking about their specific school / M.D. schools in general but now I am wondering if my D.O. application and acceptance from last cycle counts? Freaking out. I did not mean to mislead the school and am wondering if I should call to rectify the situation since I already submitted the application. I submitted their secondary almost a week ago.

thank you
Just be honest with your situation. If what you said is true as a condition of being part of your guaranteed admissions process to the DO program, then there's not going to be a problem. I suppose you can consider yourself a reapplicant to just the school you got deferral from (and even then, you were given a deferral, so you're not a reapplicant).

So if you are asked if you ever applied to medical school, you say "yes" as part of your participation in the guaranteed admissions track. No you are not a reapplicant.

Members don't see this ad.

okay, so when asked "have you applied to medical school in previous cycles" I should say "no"?
I said, "So if you are asked if you ever applied to medical school, you say "yes" as part of your participation in the guaranteed admissions track. No you are not a reapplicant. "

Members don't see this ad :)
@Goro @Mr.Smile12 got it, thank you. I will do that. Since I already submitted one secondary last week where I answered the question saying "no", do you recommend that I call or email them explaining the situation and that I made a mistake on my application? I feel terrible I did not cross my mind that I should have said yes and explain this situation. I thought since I deferred the acceptance and would make my decision after this cycle for all schools that it wouldn't matter but I now see that is not the case
Never being attention to a negative

okay, thank you. another quick question, I know you said most reapplicant bias is SDN hype. I do have a question though, by answering that question on other applications (as I plan to do), will I be put into a certain pool of reapplicant applications when that school sorts through?
No.

Status
Not open for further replies.