Would I be considered a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shoenberg3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm attending a SMP next year (EVMS) that requires that I apply through AMCAS before coming into program to be considered to their host medical school (high "linkage" 80-90%) the following year (gapless).

But I also want to apply to other schools but in the NEXT CYCLE following completion of the SMP program. I talked to the people at the SMP and they said that I can defer the acceptance to their medical school while I apply to other schools on June 2014. My concern is that I might be considered a reapplicant although I would have only applied to ONE school (EVMS) and even have a strong chance of gaining acceptance to it.

Is this true and if so, how much of a disadvantage would this be?

Thank you for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that schools only really care if you are a reapplicant to their program, not any program. If they ask specifically about reapplicant status on the secondary, it will most likely be only about their school and if not they'll give you space to explain that you only applied to EVMS previously, because of the linkage. Besides, you might fall in love with EVMS and want to skip the whole horrible process of applying again, if you get in. :) I wouldn't lose much sleep over this.

If you've sent your primary to a school in the past, then you're a reapplicant kitty committee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smp? Evms?