Would it be necessary to retake part 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentidont

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I just got my score for part 2 and it turned out to be not so good.
I was thinking of applying for a specialty program.
since it is known to be so competitive to get in, I'm starting to think whether it would be worth a Retake part2.
At some point of view, it seems that it really wouldn't matter because some of the programs don't even require a part 2 score at all.
May I ask anyone's opinions ?
How important is part 2 and how much does it influence the chance of getting an admission in ortho program ?

I Thank for the advice in advance...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
whether and how much the Part II score is taken into consideration varies widely among programs.

In general, programs don't ask for it, since most people apply at the end of D3 year, and take Part II during D4 year. However, if you have taken it, then programs will of course see the score when they look at your Part I score. It's one of those things where a high score won't necessarily help you, but a low score will usually hurt you. Therefore it's really hard to say what would be the best thing to do at this point...

Sorry I couldn't give you a clear-cut answer

Members don't see this ad :)
It's 81 .
I am quite frustrated with it.
do many people get above 85 or may be 90 ?
I have not studied thoroughly in part 2 yet, but at this point, I am not so sure whether I can do well on it, even if I study harder. The questions and answeres are not so clear as in basic science.

Thank you who give me priceless advices.

If you're applying this yr the part 2 may not be an issue. But if you're applying after u graduate dental school part 2 may be critical only if it is low. Try achieving 85+, I don't know if you're allowed to retake it or not.
90+ in part 2 is acheivable.