Would it be viewed of negatively to volunteer at underserved areas only?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brooklyn-doc97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I personally have an interest in volunteering in underserved areas only, and so most of my experiences revolve around pantry work, giving hot meals to disabled, lower income, and homeless people. As well as my clinical experience being in low-income areas only as well. I was wondering if med schools will look at this negatively in that I am solely focusing on volunteering at lower income areas and not diversifying my experiences, being around more middle class and other types of people from other class brackets, if that makes sense?

Edit: Sorry about the post if it was a little off-putting, guys. I admittedly have been feeling a little paranoid that something is not going well and that I am screwing up really badly somewhere along the way, making me nitpick every little possible flaw that I may have when doing things.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Medschools want this, not someone who volunteers in 90210.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
*Must*resist*fist*of*death*
Brooklyn, as...
1) you're one of my people, being from NYC
2) you're really new to this game

I will reject the hypothesis that you're trolling with a thread title like that and answer that you clearly don't know that Adcoms WANT people to demonstrate their altruism. Medicine is a service profession, after all. And many of your patients might very well be, well, not like you.

Thus, you're supposed to be of service to others less fortunate than yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally have an interest in volunteering in underserved areas only, and so most of my experiences revolve around pantry work, giving hot meals to disabled, lower income, and homeless people. As well as my clinical experience being in low-income areas only as well. I was wondering if med schools will look at this negatively in that I am solely focusing on volunteering at lower income areas and not diversifying my experiences, being around more middle class and other types of people from other class brackets, if that makes sense?
THis is not at all a red flag. Adcoms want you to have this kind of experience.

Reactions: 2 users
*Must*resist*fist*of*death*
Brooklyn, as...
1) you're one of my people, being from NYC
2) you're really new to this game

I will reject the hypothesis that you're trolling with a thread title like that and answer that you clearly don't know that Adcoms WANT people to demonstrate their altruism. Medicine is a service profession, after all. And many of your patients might very well be, well, not like you.

Thus, you're supposed to be of service to others less fortunate than yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, sorry about that. I keep feeling paranoid if that makes sense in that I feel like am doing something wrong along every step, that if I am not doing any and everything possible from every direction, that it will raise a red flag. Idk, maybe I need to just calm down and stop worrying. But thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
I keep feeling paranoid if that makes sense in that I feel like am doing something wrong along every step, that if I am not doing any and everything possible from every direction, that it will raise a red flag.
That's a red flag.

read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 3 users