Would it be weird to ask for this as part of compensation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been offered a FT hospital job, unfortunately it's in Brooklyn and it's rotating schedule and the parking situation there is a ****ing disaster, I'd have to show up 1 hour early to drive around to hunt for street parking. Instead of asking for extra vacation or more pay or a better health plan, would it be too weird to ask for a reserved parking spot right in front of the hospital where the administrators and doctors park?

****, I'd even take up to $3/hr less if they give me a reserved parking spot.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wouldn't hurt to ask but do you know $3 - $6k/yr or 500/mo pretax or 300/mo after tax? Is there an option you can buy a spot yourself or maybe park a bit far? Everyone can use more physical activity.

Wouldn't hurt to ask but do you know $3 - $6k/yr? Is there an option you can buy a spot yourself or maybe park a bit far? Everyone can use more physical activity.

The parking garages cost about $200-300/month. The hospital only has a small reserved parking space for admins and doctors, so I'd be asking for a space in there.

Nope, not parking far away. Whenever I go anywhere, the reason why I'm a few minutes late every time is because of parking issues. Now, if they are cool with me pulling up in front of the hospital, double parking, and then running inside to clock in and then go back out to find parking, then yeah I'll park far away. I'm not leaving my house early just to find parking.

I'd even pay for valet parking if they have it. I did that at one of the hospitals I worked at in the past but eventually some asshat administrator decided that valet should only be for patients and patient's families and banned employees from using it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it would be too weird, might cause jealousy issues with doctors (even if you are taking less pay). HR probably uses those to entice doctors to work there.

Since I used to live in New York, why not the subway or bus? I would guess 90% of the staff there take mass transportation.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it would be too weird, might cause jealousy issues with doctors (even if you are taking less pay). HR probably uses those to entice doctors to work there.

Since I used to live in New York, why not the subway or bus? I would guess 90% of the staff there take mass transportation.

I live in Long Island. I don't go home until late at night (like 2-3am) so I need my car at that time.

Why would physicians be jealous about a pharmacist getting a parking space where physicians park their car? I think OP should ask...

Why would physicians be jealous about a pharmacist getting a parking space where physicians park their car? I think OP should ask...
Well, if I park my mid-2000's Honda Accord next to the Director's BMW 7...

(I just wouldn't chance it, plenty of nice docs but if you get the spot next to the one with the crazy ego.)

P.S. I figured you might have that Long Island commute. If I guess your shift time correctly, it should be pretty close to the free street parking cutoff.

No harm in asking, but I would bet your chances of actually getting it are 0.0000000001%. I'm sure they have A LOT of long-term employees in all the different hospital departments who would throw a fit if you got preferential parking.

Why not drive to Brooklyn, but find a place where you can park and take the subway for a few stops? You can look into that. Congratulations on getting a full time job. It seems like you are always on the hunt which is a great characteristic!

No harm in asking, but I would bet your chances of actually getting it are 0.0000000001%. I'm sure they have A LOT of long-term employees in all the different hospital departments who would throw a fit if you got preferential parking.

This.

It can't hurt to ask, but I doubt it's on the table.

The parking garages cost about $200-300/month. The hospital only has a small reserved parking space for admins and doctors, so I'd be asking for a space in there.

Nope, not parking far away. Whenever I go anywhere, the reason why I'm a few minutes late every time is because of parking issues. Now, if they are cool with me pulling up in front of the hospital, double parking, and then running inside to clock in and then go back out to find parking, then yeah I'll park far away. I'm not leaving my house early just to find parking.

I'd even pay for valet parking if they have it. I did that at one of the hospitals I worked at in the past but eventually some asshat administrator decided that valet should only be for patients and patient's families and banned employees from using it.

At 3 dollars less a year an hour, you are looking at 6000 per year.

For 200 to 300 dollars a month, you are looking at 2400 to 3600 a year. If your hospital offers you tax commuter benefit where they give you a parking loaded credit/debit card and deduct up to 250 dollars PRE-tax/ month from your paycheck, you can be saving even more. Your true cost will then be 120-180 a month. Well worth the hour you spend wasting gas, mileage, and time looking for parking. If your employer does not offer it, take it up with HR because they save money on payroll taxes, and you save by paying the 2-300 dollars pre-tax instead of after tax). http://www.transitchek.com/how-it-works.aspx

Usually with hospitals in NYC area, there is a parking area that offers even cheaper options like 10 dollars a day or have hospital employee parking and might be cheaper than 2-300 dollars depending on how many days you work. Most hospitals in Brooklyn are not in the best neighborhoods so real estate is cheap, and parking is cheap. You can even work out a deal with them (tip the guy extra) and pay less if the parking area is not a chain.

I would ask your colleagues if they drive and where they park their car...

Why not just live in Brooklyn? If I had to live in NYC it would be there probably.

Maybe the hospital has a shuttle service like Sloan where it makes a couple of stops further away from the hospital where there is better parking.

Why not just live in Brooklyn? If I had to live in NYC it would be there probably.

Maybe the hospital has a shuttle service like Sloan where it makes a couple of stops further away from the hospital where there is better parking.

Honestly, with my student loan repayments I can't afford a nice place in Brooklyn right now. I have the whole basement to myself at my parents house which is pretty much an apartment, and I help them out with the mortgage so I can't really leave.

let us know how it went during your negotiating!

1. Is the long island railroad not an option? (I am not from there, just know people that are)
2. I know someone who asked for that in Omaha, Nebraska and was told no, and the regular employment lot wasn't that bad of a place to begin with. Just knowing how hospital politics work I doubt you would get anywhere. WHere I work the PA, and NP's part with the rest of us.

1. Is the long island railroad not an option? (I am not from there, just know people that are)
2. I know someone who asked for that in Omaha, Nebraska and was told no, and the regular employment lot wasn't that bad of a place to begin with. Just knowing how hospital politics work I doubt you would get anywhere. WHere I work the PA, and NP's part with the rest of us.

Well I'd have to drive to the lirr station, park there, take the lirr to Jamaica, transfer to the subway and take that to the hospital. It'll take longer than driving there. After work I usually don't go home so I need my car to go in between work and my hangout spots.

A recruiter from CVS did contact me. I would be able to find easy parking there at least lol.
Join the devil and tell them you want GY pos and work another job = $200k+/yr. Kill that student loan.

This does not strike me as an unreasonable request.
Leverage to negotiate anything drops precipitously as soon as you accept the position. Ask now- your chance of success will never be higher.

Not an unreasonable request, although I dont think they are going to comply. Never hurts to ask though, let us know how it goes!

always ask. That being said you're kidding yourself if you think they will make an exception for a pharmacist. 10 other people willing to take the job without parking in todays market.