General Admissions & OTCAS Would it still be worth it to take the GRE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ColorGuardLove

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Originally I was planning on taking the GRE, but I am beginning to reconsider. My top choice school (West Virginia University) does not require the GRE, a couple of other schools I was planning on applying to do not require it, and a couple of schools I was originally planning on applying to do require it. Although most people would advise not to do this, I am planning on putting most of my focus towards my top choice school followed most likely by one of the schools that also does not require the GRE. Because I'm in the Army National Guard for West Virginia, I could essentially go to WVU at little to no cost for tuition. Who wouldn't want to put all their focus towards an essentially debt-free education? My next choice is University of Toledo because I can get in-state since I am originally from Ohio, and my GPA is high enough that I would not be required to submit a GRE score. There were at least three other schools I originally considered applying to that do require the GRE, but now I am beginning to even wonder if it is worth it. I would be able to save money from not taking it and also applying to less (and more expensive) schools. Opinions on either side would be appreciated! Do you think it would still be worth it for me to take the GRE or do you think skipping it would be the smarter way to go?

Members don't see this ad.

I think if you feel very confident in your chances of acceptance to a school that does not require a GRE then don't take it.
In other words, avoid it at all costs, haha. Not only is it expensive, but it takes time to study and adds undue stress in my opinion. It requires prep if you want to get a good score (unless you are in school, then you can probably take it cold and do okay).

On the flip side: if you think that maybe you want to defer and/or apply to grad school in the future, you could take the GRE now and have that out of the way. I took the test in 2009 and it was very handy to not have to worry about it again. But they are only valid for 5 cycles, which may go by faster than you think...

Thanks!! I think I may just pass on it. Ever since I changed my top choice and saw that the GRE is not required, I just haven't had the motivation to pay for it and study for it when I may not even need it