Would joining the Air Force Reserves in medical school require me to do a military residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1130967

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you want to do this in medical school? Drill pay is not great and your obligation will ultimately interfere with your school at times.

No you will not have to take a military residency. In fact likely near impossible to get one.

I am not aware of any service giving student status when you are not in an incentives program. But the guard may be different. I really don’t think you would be protected during residency.

8 years is the MSO as far as service time, so you won’t technically be out after 6 years.

Edit: I read a little about the air guard early appointment for physicians program. Is that what you are talking about?

Last edited:
I would be in a medical student officer role, but I will not be taking any incentives nor doing any scholarship repayment programs. At the moment, I plan to do 4 years on non-deployable student status, then doing 2 drill years, hopefully non-deployable as well, during a civilian residency then getting out. The Air National Guard offers this path, but I am unsure if the AF Reserves does. I will talk to a recruiter soon but was hoping to get some info here.

My question is why would you even want to join if you don't plan on being deployed? If you aren't willing to be deployed to do your job you signed up for then please don't join.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.