Would like to hear your opinions...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KenFred

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted to go to dental school and have never had the opportunity (too long to explain :eek: ). I actualy got a B.S. in Finance and am working towards my MBA and CPA designations. Although I like what I am doing I have always wanted to work in the medical field more specifically, dentistry.

I am 30 years old and will be starting my own specialized consulting firm, which will be hectic for the 1st year getting clients. After that I will be able to work from home and given this type of work I can actually do it part-time if I choose. So I was thinking of going to dental school which still running my business to help support the tuition costs.

Would it be possible to work part-time and go to school full-time? What are your thoughts about my chances of surviving school with this schedule?

Given my background is in business and math I will have to get some science courses under my belt to be eligible to apply. Will my other degrees help me in the appicant pool. I will have my BS and MBA at the time of applying.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I think if it was your dream you should defininately go for it! You can take your pre-dent classes now, get ready for the DAT and by the time you start dental school you will be more established in your job so that you don't need to work more than part time. As long as you don't plan on specializing (being the top of the class) you can probably work and study and still get passing grades, but don't tell the adcoms that . . . But consider having to move for dental school and whether you will be able to uproot your new business to a new location.

Be aware, maintaining a successful business AND satisfactory progress in dental school will be extremely difficult during the first two years with the demands and rigors of the curriculum. If you plan to make both work, bring in a partner?! You may be temporarily absent (2-year). If dentistry is your dream, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Nothing is easy and there is always an opportunity cost... :rolleyes:

I would say just do it...But leave the business behind in dental school. Your full time investment should be dental school. It should be your primary goal.

As far as tuition, go for loans. Think about the worst that could happen... :eek:

If you get accepted to dental, you don't want to lose that chance. You can always start another business but you can't always go to dental school whenever.

Well that's my advice. take it or leave it.