Would love some reassurance, URM, low GPA, high (?) MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happymadness

MD student or whutevuh
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Removed! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
List your MCAT and GPA and EC and im sure you will get responses, tag Faha and Goro

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you okay drowning in secondaries your list is fine. Start working on secondaries like now (find the prompts to last years secondary essay's on SDN just look at school specific threads. People tend to post them there. You should really remove the ones you don't want to go to because of location.

You could replace Yale & Duke with UCLA and UChicago (seem to be better fits location wise)

I'd add also Georgetown

You will have plenty of interviews and acceptances. Congrats on all your hard work and success up to this point.

@LizzyM could also help with your list

Reactions: 1 user
    • /families and she likes me a lot
    • 2 science profs - probably not going to be super strong, didn't become best friends with them or anything
    • Wind ensemble director - am pretty tight with him, also took a music elective with him
    • My pre-med advisor LOVES me and should write a super strong committee letter
  1. PS – going to focus on theme of helping vulnerable populations
  2. Diversity statement – going to focus on being gay and white-passing hispanic
School list

Location is very important to me, I want to be in a city (would love NYC) because I have a keen interest in treating diverse, vulnerable patient populations - limited English proficiency/Spanish speaking patients, LGBT patients, etc. I would not be thrilled to go back to the south (am a damn librul).

I want and expect research to be a big portion of my career as an MD, looking to enroll at a research-oriented school.

I absolutely hated the hyper-competitive nature of the premeds at my undergrad (i.e. always talking about beating the curve, hostility toward those who are "better" than them, constant obsession over grades and comparing themselves to others, judging people like me who went out and had a social life instead of worrying about getting straight As) and am seeking schools with systems in place to prevent this type of atmosphere (e.g. true P/F systems, good support systems in place for positive quality of life, overall really dope people).

In-State (all of them bb)

University of Florida College of Medicine (granddad was a dean here)

University of South Florida – Morsani College of Medicine

Florida State University College of Medicine

University of Miami - Miller School of Medicine (top choice for in-state)

Florida Atlantic University

University of Central Florida

Nova Southeastern University (legacy, dad went here for MBA)

Florida International University (sister goes here for law)

I suggest the above and the following

Duke University

MCG

Mercer

Emory University

Case Western University (not huge fan of curriculum)

University of Michigan

Einstein

Hofstra

JHU you heard me

University of Southern California - Keck School of Medicine (top choice in this category)

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Hofstra

George Washington University (top choice in this category)

Tulane University (willing to remove/replace bc location)

Thomas Jefferson University

Tufts University

Drexel University

Temple University

Rush Medical College

Western MI

Oakland.B

Dartmouth

Rochester

BU

Tufts

NYMC

Albany

Creighton

Loyola

Rosy F

SLU

MCW

U VM

EVms

VCU

Frankly, I'd scratch any on the list above that are located in cities of < 500,000. I'd also use city-data.com to determine which cities have a relatively large Hispanic population. Also look into medical school's website and the city's gay scene in general to see if you will find likeminded people. Things could get lonely in some of the places on that list but I think cities of >500K would be large enough to be fun.

Reactions: 1 user