Would majoring in physiology help in optometry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys!

I just done my first yr science in Univeristy of British Columbia, but my overall average for a first year student is not too impressive, only 78% :(. Is my average too low enough to apply for state optometry school? Am I being realistic?

Recently I have grown interest in Optometry, and willing to invest more time to research on this field. I notice this field is often being overlooked by many undergrads here. All the talks are around med schools. When I told one of my friends that I am interested in state optometry school. She said, man, it's really hard to get in optometry schools, even harder than med schools. I don't know if it's true?

I will soon have to decide my undergrad major. Right now, I want to get in UBC'sphysiology program, but it's a honor program , which means I will have to take load of courses from 2nd years and on with a thesis at the end, that mean my overall GPA may suffer taking other hard non-preq courses for optometry in the long run, and probably don't have too much free time to spend on volunteering. Would majoring in physiology help me prepare for optometry school? Do admission committee actually take in consideration the difficulty level of my major (ie honor program, program that require me to take load of courses)?

I can also go for Intergrated Science program in UBC which allows me to combin different areas of science together and make my own major. That means I can still take few anatamy course and physiology courses without hurting my GPA. In fact, my GPA will be better since I can choose to take the courses that I am interested in. However, it will be a harder route to grad school, which mean I don't have a good backup plan if I don't get in optometry.

So, in the end up, is overall GPA really crucial for optometry school addmission? If so, I just don't really want to shoot myself on the foot by going for honor major. Any advice is welcomed. Thanx!

Members don't see this ad.

Heh..good luck in chem 203 and 204.. really..watch out for those....(organic chem).. it's much harder than chem 233... then u'll have chem 313... 78% average is pretty impressive i think... my average is only a bit higher than 70.but I'm still aiming for optometry.. so..yeah.. hehe...good luck.

I don't need to take chem 203 and 204 to get in physiology. Chem 203 and 204 are for biochem and chemisty majors. Well, my overall average is pulled up by a math challenge exam which i got 97% on it. I don't even know if optometry school will include that mark into calculating GPA, but UBC did for my 2nd yr registration date.

Members don't see this ad :)
OH? I always thought u need that..nevermind..but you'll need biochem 301..that's probably the one...u need to write a thesis if u r in honors? I didntknow that..thx for the info! =)

hey hows it going...i got a 74-75% avg in first year at UBC......did a bit better in my last three years and i got into the schools i applied to...its not that hard...make sure u have some shadowing, some work experience, a bit of volunteering and youre good to go...oh yah and do good on OAT
i applied late and still had no problems

yah about the physiology question, ive heard thats a hard program...its up to you, i dont know how smart you are....i took general biology and found that program sufficient and flexible enough to meet all the requirements
you can still take phyl 301 (human phyl) and anat 390,391 which are good enough for opt school

pm if you have more questions :thumbup:

oh yah you need to take micb 203 in the summer to meet the micb with lab for most US schools...203 is only offered in summer