Would med schools question/ask about an applicant with a decent GPA w/ low grades in lab courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoyKim456

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would med schools question/ask about an applicant with a decent GPA w/ low grades in lab courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Only some adcoms really trawl through your transcripts to even notice something like labs being lower than the rest of BCPM

do you have a good answer if they do, though?

How low? If it's a B- or higher, I don't think it matters. If it's a C+ or lower, just say something about how it was a fluke, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
The only answer I have is that all the general chemistry lab courses are taught by a single professor who manages 2500 students every semester, and has her TA's do all the work whilst she just makes the decisions about the course. But that is not it. The problem is that she is extremely disorganized. It was very common to get an email from her about an assignment she just passed out and is now due in 8 hours.

I don't think blaming the professor or TA's gets you anywhere. Because I am sure out of those 2,500 students many got A's. So talk about why you did not do well, not why the teacher was bad. Also, low grades in labs do matter especially if its a pre-med required course. Admissions will look at all grades and even though lectures are weighed more.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think blaming the professor or TA's gets you anywhere. Because I am sure out of those 2,500 students many got A's. So talk about why you did not do well, not why the teacher was bad. Also, low grades in labs do matter especially if its a pre-med required course. Admissions will look at all grades and even though lectures are weighed more.

I think it is generally understood that Lab grades can be highly arbitrary and the curve (if it is applied) is exceedingly unfair. Most of the time the curve ensures that only 2 students can get an A and the difference between that and an A- or a B is like 3 points depending on the distribution. I think this is why they are typically "worth" less credit hours than a lecture course. I think having some low lab grades and an overall good GPA (3.75+) is perfectly fine. Just keep an eye on your BCPM GPA and try to do a little bit more footwork to get a good TA (which is basically impossible).

Maybe. Black spots on white canvasses tend to get looked at.

"So what's up with that C in ____?" is a very common question posted in the interview Feedback section. it seems to be more commonly asked at higher caliber schools.

I think it is generally understood that Lab grades can be highly arbitrary and the curve (if it is applied) is exceedingly unfair. Most of the time the curve ensures that only 2 students can get an A and the difference between that and an A- or a B is like 3 points depending on the distribution. I think this is why they are typically "worth" less credit hours than a lecture course. I think having some low lab grades and an overall good GPA (3.75+) is perfectly fine. Just keep an eye on your BCPM GPA and try to do a little bit more footwork to get a good TA (which is basically impossible).

Regardless of the curve, this is regarding her gen chem labs. From my experience these are basic labs and not as involved as organic chemistry or physics labs. If there are 2,500 students taking the course there is no way 2 students are getting an A, especially in a gen chem class. In my school, majority of students got B or higher. From my assumption this OP has done worse than that, probably B- or lower. I agree that lab grades are not weighed heavily for that reason (1 or 2 credit courses) but it will still be looked at if the class grades are B+ and lab grade is C+.

it might come up, so have something prepared. that being said, as long as it isn't a habit, i doubt it really will have too large of an impact (assuming it's 2 Cs or something... now if it is like 5 Ds well your GPA is probably highly impacted anyway)

If my grades were pretty much A/A- throughout my college career but one C in there, would it hurt me? What if that C is from sickness during a final that is worth 60% of my grade?

1 C will not hurt you. They will not care for any of the excuses you mentioned. Just accept you got 1 C. Its fine